Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Let's get some opinions here >

Let's get some opinions here

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Let's get some opinions here

Old 04-11-2005, 08:27 AM

Default RE: Let's get some opinions here

I feel the same as you 7mm. I've called in many jakes in my lifetime but have never and will never kill one even if I had not killed anything and it was the last day. IMHO I feel its like shooting a spike buck, if you dont let him grow you may have killed a potential record breaker. As long as the tail fan feathers are straight and even across he's far game. Again its just how I feel.
Old 04-11-2005, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll shoot any tom I get in but just cant see myself taking a jake. Theres nothing wrong with it I just wont take one.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

This year I'll be trying a few days of bowhunting - Bearded turkey = Dead Turkey (unless I miss, which is much more likely)
Old 04-11-2005, 01:32 PM

Never shot a jake but i might .just depends on the moment!

I did kill a 9" ,19 lb with 3/4" spurs on saturday!

I have only had a few chances at a jake but never taken one . but i might someday!
Old 04-11-2005, 09:09 PM

One thing to remember is that if you pass on a turkey, he's not necessarily even going to be around the next year. The way these turkeys divide up territory, he may be around in the fall, but by spring he could be several ridges over. You can call in a turkey from a long way off, so I would think there is no guarantee that a jake is next year's bird...maybe for somebody, but not necessarily you...just another thought to throw in.
Old 04-12-2005, 08:02 AM

I'm just curious #1 How many of you guys that posted a response to this question deer hunt? and #2 Those of you that did respond and deer hunt, do you thing its ok to harvest button bucks or not? I may not should have asked this question here, I apologize if I made anyone angry, but I was just curious.
Old 04-12-2005, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

Any bird called in is a trophy. As for me, I won't shoot a Jake now. When I first started hunting, I would shoot the first legal bird I called in. Now I prefer to take longbeards only. When I take new hunters, I tell them to shoot any legal bird that comes in. I feel that if I call him in< I have won the battle & he is mine whether I shoot or not.