Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Any opinions on the Ultra Nok? Do you use them? Hate Them? Opinions? >

Any opinions on the Ultra Nok? Do you use them? Hate Them? Opinions?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Any opinions on the Ultra Nok? Do you use them? Hate Them? Opinions?

Old 04-05-2004, 10:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default Any opinions on the Ultra Nok? Do you use them? Hate Them? Opinions?

I have been using one for about a year and have had no difference in success compared to a nylon string loop. Just wondering what everyone thinks?

Old 04-05-2004, 10:28 AM

Default RE: Any opinions on the Ultra Nok? Do you use them? Hate Them? Opinions?

I bought one but I gave it away. I never used it though. I prefer the string loop.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Any opinions on the Ultra Nok? Do you use them? Hate Them? Opinions?

I have not used the Ultra Nok in particular but I have taken quite a few off of customer's bows. I have also personally used a similar device called the 5 star nock.

Most of the negatives that I have seen are an increased noise level on some bows....string/cable wear from contact upon release and a decrease in speed because of the increased weight in the middle of the string. An occasional broken monofilament serving or two as well...but then monofilament servings are less desirable to begin with.

I am glad to hear that yours is working well for you but do not think I would personally use one for the reasons I mentioned above.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:01 AM

I've heard that they take a little speed off. I don't really know how much, but in our shop you'll be hard pressed to find one around. A string loop works just as well and it is quieter and (!) cheaper. Just my humble opinion.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've seen tons of strings break right at the very edge of those things. Think about it. The string has to make a hard angle around the metal at each end of the nockset. Once it has taken so many bends, just like a paper clip, it's gonna break. String loops let the string take a more gradual bend and don't cause nearly the damage as metal loops.

Not to mention that metal loops can gall and burr up the jaws on your release.

I've also seen metal loops peen the backside of arrow rests on low brace bows.

The ONLY plus I can think of is they are better at holding the peep in alignment at full draw. But even that plus is a negative, since it's putting at least some torque into the string.

Metal loops are not my cup of tea.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:09 PM

I shot one for one season, and the wear on my string was crazy, you also do lose a bit of speed and they are not as quiet as string loops....I will always shoot my string loop, works great for me.
Old 04-05-2004, 04:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hate to beat a product when it's down........ but I don't like them for the above reasons plus they will allow you to torque the bowstring at full draw because of it's rigid design.
Not only hard on bowstrings, but hard on release jaws as well.

Regular string loop here, now and always.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

I tried the ultra nock about five years ago and it didn't stay on very long. Put back on the string loop real quick.

Noisier than string loops. Metal on metal contact

Heavier than string loops. Four screws plus the side plates plus the loop itself must weigh in somewhere around 6 - 8 brass nocks.

Four more screws to come loose when you don't want them to. K.I.S.S. keep it simple stupid.

Create excess wear on the release. Aluminum and aluminum rubbing like that will gall one or both.

Fifteen bucks for the ultra nock compared to a nickle's worth of string.