Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Let's get some opinions here >

Let's get some opinions here

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Let's get some opinions here

Old 04-10-2005, 05:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Let's get some opinions here

Yep, it can happen. But remember you are competing against both of us since I'm going to be his caller/camera man this year. And with the co-designer of the Backwoods Calls Purpleheart glass over slate operating it, I'm thinking we have the advantage. Bldhound and I are in search of Sad Daddies, but I will roll a jake if he wants to commit suicide on the last morning. I've got no problems with that.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I love turkey hunting all aspects of turkey hunting. So if a jake comes into my calls he will prob get a load of 5's up side his head I've taken 5 jakes so far
Old 04-10-2005, 07:11 PM

This goes along w/ Deer Hunting as well.... Size of animal or what it scores in the record book doesn't make the trophy. A trophy is what it is to you personally. You should always hunt for yourself and your own satisfaction not the opinion of others. Make it fun most of all and enjoy the hunt.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:20 PM

The only way I'll shoot a jake is in the fall of the year. In the spring on my farm and my two neighbors there are only two of us that turkey hunt. He would shoot any legal bird, but with only the two of us hunting I pass on the jakes. They will grow-up, and be tougher to hunt. This makes them more challenging!
Old 04-10-2005, 08:29 PM

Last year, took a tom early. Went the rest of the season skunked. Except the last day of the season (man it was awful, rainy and cold) I wanted meat for the freezer and decided on taking a jake if it presented itself. In KY we are only allowed 2 birds, yes its sad. Anyhow as luck would have it, I got my jake. However, it was the scrawniest little jake I've ever seen. Got less than half the meat as compared to the tom. Felt bad about taking him after I saw what little meat I got from him. I will never do that again. Now if its last day and I haven't filled a single tag, the jake might get jacked. Turkey meat is my favorite kind and I can't imagine going without ANY.

To answer your question, if its legal, you have every right to take it. Its just a matter of what you want to take. Unless its the last couple days and I haven't got any meat in the freezer, I'll take a jake, otherwiseI won't.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:42 PM
Typical Buck

The very first bird I harvested was a young Tom, sporting a 6" beard and 1/2 inch spurs. Oddly enough, he did have a full fan. I envy you in that your state offers multiple tags. We are allowed just one bird per season. With that, the only jake I'd consider taking would be on the last day of the hunt. Don't take that wrong, as I have no problem taking a young Tom after chasing uncooperative long beards on public ground.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:25 AM
Typical Buck

I've never taken a jake. The only reason I've never taken a jake is, I've never called one in. If there's a choice, I'd take a long beard over a jake. But if a jake comes in, I'll give him a ride home with me.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:57 AM

I don't actively hunt jakes and have only killed two. A trophy is in the eye of the beholder.
Old 04-11-2005, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

i did this year, my first, so yes i would, but i have passed on alot more..........i think if its legal, go for it, but before you do remember it's next years bird, if i had taken a gobbler before he walked in, i would of let him walk , but i didnt, i was going too , but i didnt, lol...........
Old 04-11-2005, 06:31 AM

Last season hunting in my home state Va. I called in six jakes and one hen. They all came in together and were within 25-30 yds of me. I let'em go, I feel shooting a jake is like shooting a button buck. My area is limited on the amount of birds so by letting the jakes go there will be more two year old birds to harvest for the next season.

Quick Reply: Let's get some opinions here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.