Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Let's get some opinions here >

Let's get some opinions here

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Let's get some opinions here

Old 04-09-2005, 09:53 PM

Default Let's get some opinions here

I for one consider turkeys kind of like ducks in that if you can call one in, it's a shooter. Now, by that I mean a legal bearded turkey. Of course I'd like to get a big bird one day, but I get excited about any bird I call in. For example, tonight I shot a turkey that I am sure some would pass on, but I was thrilled to call him and his buddy in. I might have even let him pass, but I thought he had a double beard so I took him, although he did not have a double...just looked like it when he was coming in. Now that I have two birds only 4 days in to the season, I am going to make my third bird be a really nice one, and he has to be better than both of my other two for the season for me to shoot him, and it has to be in a different county than the one I got my two birds in. How about you guys? Now, everybody be honest. If you would shoot a jake, then say it...it doesn't matter what anybody says about what you enjoy hunting. I say if you can call in a bird, then you've got the right to pop him. If you honestly can say that you only shoot 11 inch beards, then say that.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:09 PM

Default RE: Let's get some opinions here

This being my first year I would take a jake in a heartbeat. I will take a bearded hen if I call one in, if it is legal for me to shot it and I call it in I am shooting it if I clean line of site and the bird is close enough! Now if I get one under the belt then that might change but for my first bird I will make it was I can. I paid for the tag I would like to be able to use it!!!!

Reading my post over I noticed I used "If" a lot, I guess that means I am not confindent...Well there is reason for that, I'm not!
Old 04-10-2005, 01:16 AM

Good posts, guys...keep them coming. Jashoffa...I agree - you paid for a tag and you should get your first bird. Ridge Runner...I think getting some good spurs on a bird would be pretty cool, too, though I've never really given much thought to them since I'm more of a beard guy myself....actually, I am a meat guy. Give me some good grilled wild turkey breast!! I think for few nights I am going to video tape hunt since I already have a limit in my main hunting county. I live on the county border, so I have plenty of good hunting left in other counties, but not on my main place...limited out. Therefore, I think I am going to try to do some calling of birds for footage. I also plan to head to the southeast part of the state and see if I can't make my final season bird an Eastern! Keep the posts coming, guys.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:10 AM

I have taken several long beards myself. But if I had not taken a bird all season and it was the last day or close to it and a jake came into range---I suspect I would take it.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:14 AM

I think it depends on the hunter. a trophy bird to one , may not be a trophy to another. if you want to take a jake and he is legal,I feel that is OK.I have taken many young birds,4" to 5" beards(jakes).it's like taking a spike buck.I see nothing wrong with it , if you feel good about it.
If you own the property and want to leave them to become 3 or 4 year old birds,thats ok also.

for one hunter to condemn another for there hunting tactics ; as long as they are legal,IMHO is just not right.do your own thing.
I don't takes jakes anymore,thats just me.I have taken mant birds and love to bring them in,the shot is the iceing.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like'um all, those jakes eat real goodddddd. Does that answer your question?
Old 04-10-2005, 07:17 AM
Typical Buck

I personally won't go and set up on a bird I know is a jake. However, if I'm out there working a bird and he's giving me a good hunt and making me to put my skills through the test and he turns out to be a jake! he's dead
A few of my best hunts were not "trophy birds" and few of the ones that I consider worth mounting on the wall were not my best hunts as far as challenge goes So for me I'd have to say it's all about the hunt.
Old 04-10-2005, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

I will take a jake only as a last resort.I've taken a couple of dozen birds or better and 3 of those have been jakes that I have taken on the last day of the hunts.Being from Minnesota,where your lucky to get e turkey tag every other year or worse,all 3 of my jakes have been taken on out of state hunts.
Old 04-10-2005, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

If I have a choice to pick...say, jake and longbeard comes in. I'll take the gobbler. If a shot on the gobbler doesn't present itself I'll let them go.

If I've hunted hard all day, and have a jake tag left to fill, and a jake comes in, I'll blast it.

I have no pride here. With only two turkeys under my belt, I'll about take what I can.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

I'm not at that point with birds where I'll be picky. If it's legal it's mine. I go out each time just sure that the boss of the woods will be there putting on a show for me and be in my line of fire! And if I'm really really really lucky, I could whup Bldhound.....hey it can happen....maybe this year..........

Quick Reply: Let's get some opinions here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.