Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Looking for a specific slate call >

Looking for a specific slate call

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Looking for a specific slate call

Old 03-31-2005, 09:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default Looking for a specific slate call

Hey all...I am looking for a Lohman Thunder dome slate call. It's black slate, and has the tin/solft aluminum dome on the backside of the call...I broke mine recently (long story), and I was very very pleased with it, but can't seem to find it anywhere!! Can anyone point me to the right direction? THANKS!!!
Old 04-02-2005, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Looking for a specific slate call

I'd search the internet if you can't find one locally. A friend has one that's pretty old... might be a discontinued item.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:10 PM
Typical Buck

Well, I emailed Lohman...Discontinued. I figured i could take out all the slate and then get a new piece of slate...this call is simply awesome!!!

Anyone got any good places for a piece of slate that has a diameter of 3.25" and a depth of .25" ?? thanks!
Old 04-02-2005, 08:22 PM
Typical Buck

I've seen round slate ready for a turkey call pot offered for sale on ebay... sometimes 3 in a pack. Also seen them sold as a kit with the unfinished pot and striker. Fairly cheap too.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

i think mines 3 inch i ordered from there.....are you SURE is 1/4 inch thick?? thats THICK for slate...i wouldnt think mine i use to make calls is over 1/8th inch thick..good luck....try ebay for the call also...may beable to find one on there....
Old 04-02-2005, 09:49 PM
Typical Buck

whoops good call mauser, it is 1/8" my mistake...! thanks for the help

Mauser, how was that site you gave me? I mean were they timely? products in good condition, etc? thanks.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Saw the thunderdome on sale today at a hunting seminar in RI. I can hook you up with the name of the shop if you wanna give them a call, just let me know.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:03 PM

Since I have started making calls I make the slate 3/32"or just a fuzz under depending on the sound I want. If you have access to a chalk board just make one. It's not that hard to make them it just takes a little time. The thinner the louder.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

no problem..though that sounded THICK! lol......custom sawing is GREAT...here in NO TIME....and actually sent me free wood....i was posting on another message board....and the owner read my posts n such...and recognized the name when he got my email.....and offered to send me free wood to help with my shop project....i got wood for the 2 pots i made and wood for 2 strikers i think....its been a while...but that was mighty kind of them.....i had alot of guys tell me they are good people....id never expect freebes from a company or anyone....but they did...that was nice of them...and after my last email it was here quick.....they also put in plans for building my calls and strikers....nice people......the slate was ready to go...after i made the pot all i did was glue it in..the glass needed roughed up..like all glass would...rough sand paper and i was singin in no time...i was pleased...