Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Which SLATE CALL?

Old 02-16-2003, 09:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default Which SLATE CALL?

Hey Guys

This is the first time I' ve been on the turkey site you guys know your stuff.after reading quite a bit of your info it' s a wonder I' ve called any birds in at all, maybe they' re not so smart here in Idaho. This is my 5th year hunting them and have always used a mouth call actually the same ones I use calling elk. I' d like to try a slate call and was hoping you could steer me in the right direction.

Which one to buy or not to buy. Thanks. elknut1.
Old 02-16-2003, 10:17 AM

Default RE: Which SLATE CALL?

Well that question will get us all riled up again Each person is going to like/feel comfortable with a differn' t call. Here are some to consider, try to hit a local store or outdoors show though and see which one you like....

Production...

Knight & Hale Ol' Yeller - it' s actually a material called Sla-Tek and is a easy to run call. It' s also very easy to maintain and very user friendly.

Lynch Jet Slate - A great little slate call. Awesome for soft calling.

Primos Power Crystal - a crystal/glass call that calls very well. Especially like this one with a purple heart striker.

H.S. Strut Black Widow - a glass call that sounds great. It even has patterns under the surface so that the beginner can learn where and how to postition the striker.

Custom.....

A lot of people will recommend the Cody calls.

I only have a couple of " custom" slate type calls so far.... won' t recommend either of them to you, they cost too much and the above production calls sound just as good. The ones that I listed above I have used and still use.
Old 02-16-2003, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

I like the primos fricionite call pair it up with a wood wise carbon striker and you can do all kinds of stuff from loud to soft, no matter what call you get look into the wood wise striker I use it on all my pot type calls and it makes a good variety of sounds on all of them
Old 02-16-2003, 11:19 AM
Typical Buck

HOSS

Is this carbon striker you' re talking about something I would buy seperate from whatever slate call or disc I choose?

Thanks for both comments, this will help.

elknut1
Old 02-16-2003, 01:16 PM

elknut,
The striker he mentioned can be bought with a Wood Wise call, though I have no experience with the call. One great thing about a slate/glass/aluminum etc... call is that you can change the use and sound of a call with a striker. Usally a call will come with one or two strikers. You then can either add or use strikers from other calls to help change the sound. I havn' t used the Mystick Stick Carbon but can speak volumes for their orignial Mystic Stick. It is one awesome striker. Also the Mystic Stick carbon can be bought by it' s self or in a three pack.

One thing I didn' t mention earlier. A slate call can not be used in wet weather. However, glass, slae-tek, frictionite, andoxied alumnium can be used in wet weather. Also some wooden strikers should not be used in wet weather wear as the Mystic Sticks, carbon, glass and acrylic can be used.

Have I confused you yet?
Old 02-16-2003, 03:56 PM

Give the H.S. Strut Black Magic call a try. It is an anodized aluminum call that comes with an acrylic and carbon strikers. I also purchased one of their rosewood strikers, and it happens to be my favorite on this call. I can speak from experience that this call works great. It is priced under $20 and you can get the rosewood striker in a striker 3 pack for about $7 or so. My local Wal-Mart has both items in stock now. I have used this call almost exclusively for several years and it is the one that will go to the woods with me again come April.
Old 02-16-2003, 04:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

the lilduece
Old 02-16-2003, 05:12 PM

I picked up a Small version of the Old Yeller by Knight and Hale...Sla-Puppy I think it is called.

Sounds very, very sweet.

Although my all time favorite is the HS Triple Glass.

Jim
Old 02-16-2003, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

Hey Guys

Thanks for all the replies, they were all great. I' m going with the H.S.Strut Black Magic Call. It has both acrylic & carbon strikers and a base that weather won' t effect. So I guess It' s on the way to Wally World, It' s 100 miles away so I better get going. If I have any more questions about turkey hunting I' ll stop by.

Thanks Again elknut1