Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote Calling Trip - Report

Old 01-16-2007, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Coyote Calling Trip - Report

Well, a buddy and I left Friday around mid-morning to head out in Western South Dakota to do some coyote calling. On our way there we were driving past some places he had called at before. We made a quick stop an secured permission to call. First set we called in a single (watching his dog work 'em was amazing), shot the single, very nice looking male. Second set we called in a pair, two younger females, got 'em both. Then we decided we better continue on our way.

Got to my uncles place, dropped off our clothes/extra gear and hit the road to make 1 stand before dark. First stand we busted out a single 'yote on our walk in. We quickly got down and gave a series of howls. The 'yote stopped on a sidehill about 500 yards away and sat down and watched my buddies dog for about 30 seconds then came hauling a$$ towards us. This 'yote got about 50 yards downwind of us (gradual sloping hill we wouldnt see it very well, and it was standing on its back legs bouncing up an down looking for what it smelled). We decided we better sit up an take it, buddy made a very good 250 yard running shot on that 'yote. This yote was all mangy.

The wind wasn't quite right to call at the other spots so we went an did some scouting an called 'er a day. The next morning the wind was calm as could be and the -5 degrees felt good actually. Our first set was un-eventful as were the next 3. On our way to another piece of land we spotted a 'yote from the road, I shot that yote at 275 quartering away just before it topped a hill. Drove up to it, and it was mangy as well.

We stopped an grabbed a bite to eat, and headed to where we called the evening before. Our first stand down there I called in a 'yote to 80 yards but it busted me, I grazed down its right side and we never recovered that dog. We made another stand and it produced nothing.

On our way to another stand we spotted a dog out in a dried up lake bed. We drove around the other side of the lakebed and I got that coyote as it busted out with my AR15. It was also mangy.

The wind had picked up by now and the calling was done for the day, so we drove around checking out some new areas and we didn't get anymore dogs the rest of the day.

Sunday we made a few stands but weren't calling in any dogs, we are getting very frustrated now. Wondering why we weren't getting anything to respond what-so-ever. Last year we called in 27 dogs in a day an half at this place. We hunted hard till 1 an went to town to get a bite to eat. By then the wind picked up and we were ready to call it a trip. My uncle wanted to go check another spot, so we did. We end up picking up 3 more mangy dogs, but none came to the calls.

We end up seeing 10 dogs at my uncles place, all of them were mangy. We shot6 dogs there. And 3 on our way. So we end up with9 dogs on our trip.

Is anyone else running into these mangy dogs like we are? Seems to us like they don't respond to calls, and they wouldn't even think about coming in when we had the dog out with us.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:50 PM
Spike

Default RE: Coyote Calling Trip - Report

There is a guy here in NW ks that is a "big" trapper, Im talking like a 60 mile trap line, anyways he has trapped 39 coyotes so far this winter and has only kept 6.....So we have it down here also..

Old 01-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a fun trip, mangy yotes.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

So, I just got my digital camera in the house tonite to download the pics of the coyote trip out west and my pictures are GONE! My brother thinks he can restore them, so he is workin on that now.

The wind finally died down at home tonite so I went an made a set before dark. This fury lil critter decided to come in an see what was making that awful squealing sound.

He was kinda stiff by the time I dragged him almost a mile out from my stand to my pickup! 12 degrees and dropping fast.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a decent trip. I'm glad that mange hasn't found it's way this far west. I killed 4 mangy coyotes about 100 miles east of my main stomping grounds earlier this fall, and I'm hoping this snowy cold winter puts a hurten on them so they don't have a chance to breed this spring. It sucks to take a trip like that only to be at the mercy of the winds that can put a damper on success!
Old 01-18-2007, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Still waiting on the dang wind to go down here. Its supposedly supposed to go down this weekend. If it does the calling shoudl be good. Wind has been howling all week. Can't wait to get out an do some more calling. 'Yotes are gonna be hungry....