Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Merriams

Old 03-24-2005, 01:01 PM
Spike

Default Merriams

The wife and I are planning a spring 2006 turkey hunt to the Black Hills of SD and WY. If successful, we'll be swinging down to the Pine Ridge area of Nebraska. Any advice?
Old 03-25-2005, 10:08 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Merriams

get agood boxcall and a boat paddle call sometimes you have to cut the wind bring warm clothes it can snow pretty good inb the BlackHills in the spring
Old 03-26-2005, 03:20 AM

Get into shape. I hunted the Black Hills in Wy last year.Plan on doing a lot of walking and covering as much ground as possible.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

Have fun and take a good camera. That's beautiful country out there, and there's not a nicer looking turkey than a Merriams. Take heed to Ultimag's advice...it's priceless. Best of luck!
Old 03-26-2005, 05:43 PM

Pretty much what everbody else has said. We've had a mild winter so the birds survived the weather well. We pretty much have flocks everywhere so the hunting looks good. My wife and I are looking forward to the season and wish you luck.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also agree with the others. I lived there for about 15 years, and spent a lot of time in the Hills. Also, don't be afraid to ask permission to hunt the birds, I have been rather successful doing that. Also if hunting on the Wyoming side, make sure you contact the game and fish to make sure that you won't be hunting in a special area. And finally, get the BLM maps from the Wyo game and fish. Plan an extra day to enjoy devil's tower as well. let me know if you need anything.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:31 AM
Typical Buck

i almost forgot bring binos
Old 03-28-2005, 09:27 AM
Spike

Thanks!

What part of the season do you guys prefer out there? First week? Middle? Last week? Is there a lot of hunting pressure early in the season? When is the hen competition the worst? We're still trying to decide if we should go before or after our WI hunt period....we only get one week in WI....so we have to plan everything around it.

Do the birds respond to aggressive calling or is conservative calling better? Box call is my prefered call...no problem there...always care a couple different ones. Is it hard to locate the birds or do you normally hear a few each morning? Which locator calls work best? Here in WI, owl works great in the morning and at evening. During the day it's mostly crow. I do have a hawk and coyote howler if needed. Even throw in a goose call every once in awhile. How close do you need to get to them on the roast to be able to call them in? How far will they travel to the call?

I better stop....too many questions. Just a little pumped up for information. The toms have been strutting every morning in the neighbor's field behind our house....up to six at a time. That's a good way to get the blood flowing in the morning. Too bad our hunt period this year is still a month away.

Thanks again,
Craig
Old 03-29-2005, 02:40 PM

Birds are usually pretty vocal. Usually can get them going through out the day. Aggressive calling is usually what works best. Running and Gunning.

BTW...Did anyone mention getting in shape.