Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Nebraska Merriams?

Old 12-20-2004, 06:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default Nebraska Merriams?

Anyone here ever hunt Northwest Nebraska for Merriams? Especially the area around Chadron NE?
Tell me about it.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Nebraska Merriams?

Yes I have ...BT
Old 12-21-2004, 03:25 PM

Yes I have. The area is wonderful to hunt but you have to remember that Merrimams are more like Eastern Turkeys. They like deep ravines and pines. The area around Chadron is a wonderful place to go. Check local Chamber for more information. With pre-planning you will have no trouble finding either public or private places to hunt-might cost you a dinner or so but will worth it.
Old 12-23-2004, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

Well BT, don't be shy about it! Tell me about the area and how was the hunting when you were there? What's prime time around that area?
What's the terrain like?
Old 12-23-2004, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ok lol ,

Chadron is a nice place with rolling hills to cannon type mountains. I'm unsure of the directions as North east south and west like ,

It was around the 10 or so of April , I hunted the Pine ridge forest. Lots of birds and tons of area to travel. Also met up with a friend in Town that does a little guiding on the side and he took us to a place not far out of town in a river bottom. The hunt was short as 2 of us killed 4 birds in an hour and was headed back to Ontario in no time. We used all the same calls , boat paddle Box calls were good as volume was what you need at times. Suff can was good aswell. kind of a short story because the hunt didn't last long lol .. I have his name and number if your interested ...BT