Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Virginia Gobbles?

Old 03-29-2005, 07:27 AM
Fork Horn

Default Virginia Gobbles?

Hey Guys,

I have been scouting quite a bit lately and have yet to hear any Toms sound off. Anyone else in VA hear anything yet? The season starts next Saturday. I think they may be a little late this year. What do you guys think?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-29-2005, 08:31 AM

Default RE: Virginia Gobbles?

I don't get the opportunity to listen since I moved away from my farm to the big city, but did go scout this past weekend. I got up Sunday morning and it was real windy. Went to my usual listening spot and did not hear a thing. I started walking back and thought I heard a goose on my neighbors pond, but it turned out to be the raspiest, oldest sounding hen I've ever heard! I stopped to listen and heard a gobbler double gobble once and single gobble a couple more times. There were at least three other hens raising cane. Cutting and yelping for about five minutes.

I got back home and drove to town to get breakfast. On my way I saw a hen fly over the road. On my way back just past where the hen was I turned the curve and I could not believe my eyes. There were two big gobblers with their heads stuck out gobbling right on the side of the road! I stoped and watched them for three or four minutes. The smaller bird strutted twice, and then they ran back across the road.

I think if we get some warm weather for an extended period of time they will be fired-up by the 9th. I have seen lots of groups of gobblers and some groups of both mixed. I guess we will have to wait and see.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've been scouting my usual public spots in Fauquier County and haven't heard anything yet. That's really not a surprise because I know how tight-lipped those WMA gobblers are, but opening day is getting awfully close. I'm going to work double hard to get in early and cover as much terrain as possible. Otherwise I'll ended up skunked again this year.
Old 03-29-2005, 03:14 PM
Fork Horn

Aught 6, I am with you. I always try to get in as early as possible. I did take a nice bird last year on opening day, but that was the last bird I heard gobble all season. I hope that the early season is a little better. I hunt in Loudon county and up in Shenandoah county. Both private land, but I have poachers come on both properties regularly. It is hard to stop them. One of the pieces is small, only 50 acres, and it only takes one mistake to send the birds away for the season. Good luck and be safe.

Mike