Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hunting accidents

Old 03-01-2005, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Hunting accidents

Was watching this hunting show on tv today and this guy was telling a story about how his two kids got shot while turkey hunting. One of the boys was blinded in both eyes. I think the boy was 12 or 13. I really felt sorry for this boy...

After watching that show it really made me think[]
Old 03-01-2005, 08:43 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Hunting accidents

It's amazing how a little carelessness can lead to a tragedy like that. The bottom line is you gotta not just pay attention to what you're doing, you have to take every precaution to protect yourself from the other guy. You never know when some triggerhappy newby could be out there shooting at sound. Especially on public land. It's scary to think a second of carelessness could cost a life, but it's something we all have to keep in mind.

Be safe out there!!

Slice
Old 03-02-2005, 06:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

hunting accidents should be treated as any other criminal act. Carelessness costs out of the field, it should in the field.Just my 2cents.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:40 AM
Typical Buck

That is hard to hear something like that and especially when it involves kids and is tough for anyone. I hunted some land one time that my father and I had hunted. That year, dad couldn't make it so I went solo. Called the landowner and he said he had another guy hunting and that he'd like to meet before hunting. I went over to the landowner's house the evening before and met the guy. The property was split about in half by a highway and he asked which side I wanted. I picked one and he said "Don't cross the highway" and was really pushed that point beyond what it needed to be. I asked if he'd had a bad experience with another hunter out of curiosity. He said that a few years before he'd been shot and still had pellets in him. He was lucky. Guess we always try to be save in the woods but we can't control the actions of others. Makes me think whether I should consider wearing safety glasses which if you think about it wouldn't be a bad idea as it would protect the eyes from branches, etc that I seem to run into especially in the dark!!

Don't know if any of you recall the bike racer Greg Lemond who won a few Tour De France races. If I remember correctly, he was shot while turkey hunting by his brother-in-law and they couldn't remove some of the pellets. Anyway, they figured that the lead pellets still in his body got into his system and basically ruined his racing career as it really messed up his training. At least he is alive but just wanted to point out that lead in one's system, even though it may not kill you, can have bad effects after the fact.
Old 03-03-2005, 08:11 AM
Fork Horn

That is indeed a tragedy. I feel very sad for everyone involved.

Then there is the state of Virginia which sets up potentially tragic scenerios by allowing rifles to be used during spring gobbler season. It is not unusual to see good old boys driving the roads, especially on rainy days, looking for turkeys in the fields. Imagine being set up in full camo trying to coax a bird within range, when someone drives up and pegs away at him, not having any idea that you are there. That is scary.

In my opinion, using rifles for gobblers, in addition to being dangerous, is somewhat less sporting than using claymores. After all, the gobbler would probably see the trip wire.