Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting accidents

Old 10-04-2004, 12:21 PM

Default hunting accidents

Hello, I was hoping to go hunting this year, but I am worried about hunting accidents. Like people getting shot, or something like that. Any suggestions or anything thanks

troutdudes
Old 10-04-2004, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: hunting accidents

I dont really have to worry about getting shot. When getting up in your satnd take it slow make sure you always have your hand on something in case you do fall.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:46 PM

Have you ever hunted before or been around firearms? Safety in hunting is the result of following basic rules of hunter and gun safety - all the time. And, being with and around people who follow the same rules. I always hunt with people I know to be safe in general behavior and especially with firearms.

Yes, there are close friends of mine who I will not hunt with (again) because I didn't like the way they handled their guns or the way they thought about safety in general. And, in general, I've personally found that the ones that are unsafe or careless are people who start hunting as adults. My theory is that those of us who started as kids were "imprinted" big time in safety - there was just no tolerance for anything unsafe with guns by the adults I hunted with as a kid. The adults weren't afraid to tell us, and as kids, we did as we were told (in this case anyway!). Adults dont' go through this indoctrination. Adults have a hard time telling other adults what the rules are. I'm not saying eveyone who starts out as an adult is unsafe, it's just that I'm saying that if I encounter a careless or unsafe hunter, it's almost always the case they started out later in life without the indoctrination.

My advice if you're new to guns or hunting: take a hunter and/or gun safety course. Find some people to hunt with who are safe and experienced and don't be shy about asking them exactly how to do it right. Let them know that you need to be told and that they shouldn't be shy about it. JMHO, but I really hope it works out for you and that you have a great time.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:56 PM

gun safety is always an issue when you are in the woods no matter how experienced you and the people you are around are. i would take a hunter safety course and also maybe go to a firing range where there are instuctors to show you how to properly handle a weapon. one thing in PA that i was always nervous about was other hunters in the woods. the first couple of days of rifle season gets nuts in my area, there is blaze orange everywhere and there are a lot of people out there with some screws loose. i'm not trying to discourage you but i would try to find an area that doesn't have a lot of pressure.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:36 AM

many hunters refuyse to wear orange.i wear a orange scent lock hat.better safe than sorry.try to be prepared for anything that may could happen. i carry a walkie talkie and my cell phone.if any other hunters are with you make sure they have at least a radio.make sure you know where all hunters will be at all times.it does not hurt to check in with each other ocassionally.we all try to come out of the woods at the same time also.make sure everyone understands the rules of the camp.on the side of safety we make sure others know where we will be. by that i have a list of numbers with mein case one is not answered.about 4 years ago it saved my life by having the cell phone.i was miles back into the wilderness with no electricity or other hunters. the heat got me and i went down.i called my wife at work and she called the paramedics.i was able to guide them to where i was.the moral of that story is to always have someone with you.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:15 AM
Dominant Buck

I've been injured far more times doing other things than I ever have while hunting , maybe it's because I know the risks in hunting and am better able to manage them as a result .
Old 10-05-2004, 07:19 AM

troutdudes, are you more concerned that *you* might do something unsafe, or that you'll be the victim of someone else's carelessness?

Either way, I know what you mean. Still, I think it's important to make the distinction between being concerned and being worried.

In a way, it's like driving a car--thousands of people are killed every year, some due to their fault, and some due to someone else's. About all we can do about it is to be safe ourselves, be aware of our surroundings, and in the case of hunting, do our best not to become victims (such as wearing orange).
Old 10-05-2004, 07:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would think that you would have a much greater chance of having a fatal accident driving to the 7-11 to get a Coke than you would have of being shot in the woods.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

another vote for orange, at least to and from the stand, thats what i have always done
Old 10-05-2004, 11:05 AM

ORIGINAL: timbercruiser

I would think that you would have a much greater chance of having a fatal accident driving to the 7-11 to get a Coke than you would have of being shot in the woods.
I'm wondering if it's also true that the most dangerous part of hunting (statistically), is the tree stand part - falling? Although I've always been super compulsive about gun safety, I know climbing/falling is something I was very casual about in the past, but am getting more and more compulsive about safety in the tree the past couple of years - also being much more careful making sure the old home-built stands don't have weak boards. As the years go by, I like commercial ladder and climbers more than the home made ones we've used for years (and are getting to show their age).

Quick Reply: hunting accidents

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.