Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Do you believe hunter orange is effective in preventing hunting accidents? >

Do you believe hunter orange is effective in preventing hunting accidents?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
78.26%
No
8.70%
Sometimes
13.04%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Do you believe hunter orange is effective in preventing hunting accidents?

Old 05-15-2006, 08:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Do you believe hunter orange is effective in preventing hunting accidents?

Hey y'all... I'm doing a couple college speeches on hunter orange( 4-6 min. each). One is supposed to be informative and one persuasive. So I was going to inform everyone in the class what hunter orange was and how it is used and then in the second speech, persuade them (as if they were all hunters) to wear hunter orange while hunting. My question to y'all is, do you have anyinfo or good reasons to wear orange? Many of my internet resources are the same and lack info. They are also based around NY state a lot. Thanks for all your guys' replies. I'll be sure to mention huntingbbs in my bibliography.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Do you believe hunter orange is effective in preventing hunting accidents?

As information,Alberta used to require hunter orange but did away with this regulation several years ago.Contrary to some peoples fears,the frequency of accidents did not increase at all.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Do you believe hunter orange is effective in preventing hunting accidents?

I don't see how anybody could argue that hunter's orange doesn't prevent accidents. Guaranteed that you can see someone (unless you are color blind) that is wearing orange a lot quicker and recognize them as something other than a deer. I've killed a lot of deer while I was wearing hunters orange and I don't think I can recall a time that I though the deer could recognize orange. Just makes good sense to me to wear it.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Something else to consider is that some idiots will point their loaded rifle at an orange object as they look through their scope trying to see if the orange is indeed a hunter or just who it might be.If they don't see you at all,odds are that this won't happen.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:54 PM

I think its stupid people that use their scopes as binos and you can figure out the rest. Plus their are people out there that will shoot at anything that moves with out identifying it first. Two examples are a friend of mine tooke his buddy out hunting for his first time with smokepoles and they got shot at needless to say his buddy will never go out hunting again. Also I know a fella who was shot in his arm nearly lost his arm by a guy that was in his own hunting party(new to the group) anyways this guy was sitting in the brush all in white with and orange cap no snowand went to reach up for a tree branch to help him get up then boom hos arm was hanging together by his jacket.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its law here to wear orange for rifle and muzzleloader seasons, they reccommend that you wear it while hunting upland game and you don't have to wear it while shooting geese or hunting w/ bow. I hunt crown land and its probabley more dangerous to drive down the roads than it is to sit in your tree stand!! Guys sit on the road and wait for deer to cross..... this is dangerous, even when your in a vehicle. In the 7yrs hunting this area I have never seen another soul while sitting on stand, yet I was almost hit by a stray bullet while drinking coffee at my camp. The guy now knows that we camp there...... the smoke from our wood stove wasn't enough to tip this guy off.
While hunting in groups(including upland game birds, and in some places driving deer) I would wear hunter orange. Once I hit my stand, why shouldn't it be legal to take it off? ANyone shooting up into the trees for whitetail shouldn't be allowed to leave the house.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think it helps in a State like Pa. where the hunters are50 per square mile on public land
Old 05-16-2006, 04:02 AM
Dominant Buck

I've come close to being shot several times while afield , if I hadn't been wearing safety orange I wouldn't be typing this . It sucks that some folks make it necessary , but for now we're better off with it than not .
Old 05-16-2006, 04:41 AM
Typical Buck

Hunter's orange is not a color you find in nature. It stands out, and is immediately recognizable. There also is no reason to believe deer can see it. So there's really no reason not to wear it.

GH
Old 05-16-2006, 04:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

If not, whats next. Whistle around your next and a blow every 3 steps?

Quick Reply: Do you believe hunter orange is effective in preventing hunting accidents?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.