Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Accidents

Old 11-12-2002, 03:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default Hunting Accidents

This is my first gun season comming up. Going out with two experience hunters (brothers) who I am very comforable with.

However I'm still neverous, as I hear of countless hunting accidents every year.

Are they really common, or is it media hype? Also, what is the majority of accidents that occur?

"Out of the woman comes the man, who spends the rest of his life getting back again". Peter Gabriel
Old 11-12-2002, 03:57 PM

Default RE: Hunting Accidents

Hunting is one of the safest sports around. However, accidents can and do happen and when guns are involved, they can be serious very easily. Have you taken a Firearm Safety Course? Sounds like you probably havent. Please do, they provide a lot of great info. A lot of accidents happen when you are loading and unloading. When you are doing that, stand away from the group and give it your undivided attention. Only after you are absolutely sure you have all the ammo out of your gun should you rehash the days events, etc. Three rules that I feel are very important:
1. Always control your muzzle.
2. Treat every gun as if it is loaded.
3. Know your target and what is beyond your target.
Old 11-12-2002, 04:15 PM

Majority of hunting accidents are tree stand related. In Missouri last year there was 10 accidents. Only 1 or 2 was fatal. Thats not too bad if you figure in how many people where killed in cars. Oh and wear Blaze Orange a vest or atleast a hat, and advoid wearing brown.

Guns cause crime, like flies cause garbage.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:15 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-13-2002, 04:51 AM

I'll go so far as to say that there are NO SUCH THING AS HUNTING ACCIDENTS. These incidents that are reported by the media are nothing more than the "cream of the crop of stupidity" in the hunting community rising to the top. If you and your party are prepared and proficient with your hunting skills and marksmanship, "accidents" will not happen.

Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish.
Marcus Fabius Quintilianus (35 AD - 100 AD)
Old 11-13-2002, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also, always be aware of where your gun is pointed (it should always be pointed at the ground unless you're about to shoot), especially if you are walking with other people.
Old 11-13-2002, 06:19 AM
Typical Buck

Silens V you took the words right off my keyboard.

Old 11-13-2002, 09:16 AM
Spike

In the 2001 Georgia hunting season there were 11 firearm related accidents all of which took place on private or leased lands. Nine of the 11 firearm hunting accidents involved persons violating the law by either hunting under the influence of drugs/alcohol, poaching or not wearing blaze orange. Most cases in Georgia which involve alcohol or drugs are prosecuted as felonies (manslaughter, assault w/deadly weapon, etc)

Treestand accidents (average 68 per year) in Georgia are mostly attributed to failure to use a safety harness and/or drug/alcohol in the victim. One thirtysomething gal fell out of her treestand and died with a .16 blood alcohol level. (Definitely a Darwin Award nominee)

There were no firearm injuries on public lands. Tree-stand accidents and accidents resulting in self-inflicted injuries account for 72 percent of the total accidents.

So follow all the rules posted thus far and when you are absolutely, absolutely sure your firearm is unloaded - check it again.

Heaven is best viewed from a deer stand at sunrise in the forest

Favorite Sticker: Vegetarian is Indian for Lousy Hunter
Old 11-13-2002, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the replies.

Alcohol will not be part of our hunt. They take it seriously and we all believe nobody with any level of alcohol should have a firearm.

I will be going up on a treestand for the first time, so little nervous there, but will have a harness.

And I'll be wearing full Blaze Orange. Sounds like it should be ok.

"Out of the woman comes the man, who spends the rest of his life getting back again". Peter Gabriel
Old 11-13-2002, 11:12 AM

Sometimes it happens during bow season:

Quick Reply: Hunting Accidents

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.