Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

What To Do?

Old 03-07-2005, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

Default What To Do?

As some of you already know, I recently drew a Black Hills turkey tag. The season opens April 9. There are 4 of us going on the trip and, due to a conflict with school (I'm a senior at South Dakota State and have to be at the SDSU Bull Sale because I am in the class that puts it on) I will not be able to leave for the hunt until the morning of the opener. I will have a 6 hour drive to get to the Hills and hope to get a little hunting time in on that saturday.

My question is this: the rest of the group will be leaving thursday to scout, but A.) is that enough scouting time to get an idea of where the birds will be? and B.) where do I start when I get out there that afternoon to start hunting?

We have a general idea of where to go as we have a contact out there and one of the members of the group was out there elk hunting this past fall, but what are some things to look for when it comes time to go out and chase a gobbler for the first time in a totally new area?
Old 03-07-2005, 10:06 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: What To Do?

I would say find and follow a creek and use locator calls.

They will cross it and come to it for water some time.

Close to a creek is where I have been finding a lot of turkey signs.

Or if there is a logging road walk down it and use locator calls.

Theres two spots to start.

Good Luck