Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

JUST STARTIN

Old 02-11-2005, 09:58 AM

Default JUST STARTIN

New to the board so hello to everybody. This spring will be my first year of turkey hunting. I have done a lot of waterfowl, upland bird, and other kinds of hunting but never turkeys. I have been doing a lot of research on turkey hunting.
My question is, what would be the best kind of call and ways to call that would be simple enough for a beginner?
Also do you guys use decoys(hens)?
Morning or evening hunts this time of year?
Thanks for the info
Old 02-11-2005, 10:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: JUST STARTIN

Welcome to the board and welcome to turkey hunting!! You will quickly become addicted!!
First, the simplest call I can think of to use is the pushbutton call. They are easy to master and are very effective. A box call and a slate are also fairly simple to use and easy to master. Some people use diaphram calls, but they can be more difficult to get good with. My suggestion, though, would be to get 1 or 2 calls and practice hard with them before you try to tackle too many calls. A tape of wild turkey vocalizations would also be a good idea. No sense in practicing a call when you don't know what it should sound like!!

As far as decoys, they have their place and time. Be careful when using them on public land. But a single hen decoy can be effective most any time and a jake decoy with the hen can be effctive early in the season.

As far as time of day, check your state regs. Some states only allow you to hunt turkeys until noon, so the morning may be your only option. Most of the time though, the gobblers are most vocal in the first hour or so in the morning.

I hope this helps!!

Good luck!!

Slice
Old 02-11-2005, 10:19 AM

Good info. Here i Kansas where I live there are really no regulations on them b/c there are so darn many of them. I go to Kansas State U. and the other day i was driving about 20 miles nw of here and it was raining. I bet I saw 3 or 4 different groups of 50-60 birds. It is really crazy how many birds there are around here. I have a diaphragm call of my dads and a box call of his also. I will try to get good with these two, since i already have them. Just short cluckin kinds of noises I guess. Thankx again
Old 02-11-2005, 10:41 AM
Typical Buck

Clucks and yelps will get the job done. A yelp is like "keeee-yok-yok."
Old 02-11-2005, 06:38 PM

box calls are awsome!
Old 02-17-2005, 05:25 PM

Welcome to the turkey woods,

Please if you have many questions on what calls to use and how to use them please e-mail me at [email protected] or call me personally at 607-742-1503.

I have 28 years of experiance full time with the elusive wild turkey and i believe i can help you with some great hunting tactics.

My passion with the wild turkey is to help any new comer to the great sport.

"May The Turkey Gods Shine On You"

Thank You
Harry Blodgett CEO
Blodgett Calls LLC.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

Mr. Blodgett I am going to ask you to please stop advertising for your business on the forums. You are more than welcome to advertise in teh classifieds for free. Thank You for your anticipated Cooperation. Pat
Old 02-17-2005, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

Don't say we didn't warn you....turkey hunting is extremely addictive and will hit you in the wallet hard! But seriously, welcome to the sport...It's an awesome adventure.
Old 02-17-2005, 10:00 PM

My best general advice would be to stay in the woods past the initial flydown, high noon could be the best time of day.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:13 AM

I Get Out There 30 Min To Sun-Up And Stay Till About 7-8 If Not Action...Then Ride Around Looking For Turkeys In Feilds, Then Try To Stalk Them With Lota Times Fails. And Then Go Eat Dinner Take A Break About Hour Go Out Till Sunset