Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

just startin need help

Old 02-14-2005, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default just startin need help

I am new to turkey hunting and in need of some help. I have a mouth call (primos diamond yelper) and a slate call (primos ol betsy) and I am trying to learn how to use them. I have read the posts on other people just starting and I am not very good at learning how to do it from reading how. I was wondering if there is any other good ways to learn? Or if their was any one that lives close that would be willing to show me how or any thing like that? I live close to Liberty Indiana. Any info would be greatly apreciated. I don't know much of anything about turkey hunting. Thanks in advance for the info.

William
Old 02-15-2005, 04:00 AM

Default RE: just startin need help

If Liberty, Ind. is anywhere close to Boonvile, Ind. I've got just the place for you.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:35 PM
Fork Horn

I wish it was but it is over 4 hours away. Thanks for trying though.
Old 02-18-2005, 09:02 PM

You got a couple good calls there. I have the ol" betsy and I really like the smooth mellow tones of this call. The diamond yelper is another good one even though I prefer their stacked frame calls. I know it is tough to try to learn this sport via the internet but you are blessed to live in a time of readily avaiable information. You should've tried to get started twenty years ago when oldtimers would rub out any turkey tracks they found to keep others off their birds. I still catch myself doing that from time to time. Try locating videos, many callmakers now sell videos with good instructions on how to use their calls.
If I could give you some advice don't think you have to immediately learn all the high fallutin competition type calls. Many a bird has met his fate responding to simple clucks and purrs. Calling is only a small part of what it takes to be successful. If I had to rate it I would say 80% woodsmanship (being in the right place, knowing how to approach a bird) and 20% calling skill (more knowing when not to call than fancy calling). JMHO
Old 02-18-2005, 09:11 PM

BW could'nt have said it better myself. Most the time I'm positioning myself. I use very little shock calls, but use natural ones instead. stop and listen to all the crows next time you'll be suprised. I feel that the less impact you have the better off you are. Nothing urkes me more than some joker hooting up and down the road. Anyway, I don't call sometimes till late in the morning after I've made 6-7 small 50-100 yd moves, then when its just right hit him with a little simple calling and Sady bar the door! Anyone cal call a turkey, its when you can master maneuvering on one through the woods that you start killin.
Old 02-18-2005, 10:53 PM

You wouldn't believe how long it took me to realize that. My mentor in the sport advised me to call a little and sit alot, and that is how I hunted for the first part of my career. Then I fell for all that run and gun crap. Heard alot of them gobble but bumped even more running around the woods like an idiot. I've gone back to the well so to speak. Find a good area where I know the turkeys are sit and throw out a few calls and see what happens constantly remembering it's turkeys I'm dealing with. Nothing I do can make them do anything. I'm on his timetable. May not hear as many but much more enjoyable and usually able to work any that do respond.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:44 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the advice. I am going to be hunting mostly on public property because I don't have any private land to hunt yet. I have been in these woods many times small game hunting but not sure were I should start looking for the birds. I know they are there because I have seen them there before. It is near a big lake with alot of fairly steep terian. I am going to start scouting in a couple of weeks what should I look for? Any more help from anyone is greatly appriceaterd. Thanks

William
Old 02-21-2005, 05:52 PM

The best thing to do is be in the woods as much as possible. Look for droppings and scratching, tracks along dirt roads etc.. If at any way possible try to go a week or so before season and listen for turkeys to gobble in the mornings. This helps me so Iknow where they are roosting and if they gooble long enough you can KINDOF pattern them. If you can go the afternoon before you hunt you can try to get one to shock gobble by using an owl hooter. If you get one to gobble you willbe that much more ahead the next morning by having an idea of where a gobbling turkey will be the next morning.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

It's been said, and I agree a calling "How 2" video will help you greatly with the fundamentals. You'll be able to incorporate your own spin on each type of call, as there is no set way you MUST call to be sucessfull. Once you can confidently make the basic turkey sounds, the yelp, cluck, cutt and purr, you'll be able to build on them. Don't expect too much right away and practice often.

I've heard some real turkeys that sound down right aweful in the woods. Start off soft and remember not to over call to the bird. You'll get the hang of it and eventually know what a responsive bird wants to hear. Good hunting!
Old 02-24-2005, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

Hoosier,

All the advice above is right on. How to videos are a good idea. So are cd's and tapes of real turkeys. You can find some cd's of real turkeys at the Midwest turkey call supply website. When commuting to work by yourself, pop in the cd, put in your mouthcall and practice away. It's a perfect way to learn the cadence and rhythm of the birds without ticking off your loved ones by practicing in the house!

As far as hunting, I would try and locate your local chapter of the NWTF. Turkey hunters love showing the ropes to a new hunter and I'm sure if you attended a meeting of the local chapter or contacted someone with the chapter and told them you were new to the sport and were looking for guidance, you'd probably get an offer or two to tag along with an experienced hunter. There's no better way to learn that from someone showing you in the the field!!

Good luck!!

Slice

Quick Reply: just startin need help

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.