Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Box call maintenance

Old 02-09-2005, 01:45 PM

Default Box call maintenance

I'm new to turkey hunting and I just got a Quaker Boy Grand Old Master box call. After practicing with it for a while it lost some of its sound so decided to rechalk it. I got a stick of box call chalk from WalMart and applied according to directions and I now I can hardly get any sound out of the call. What did I do wrong? Do I need to sand the paddle? I need your help.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:09 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Box call maintenance

Not all box call chalk is for all box calls. SOunds like you got an oil based chalk to me. What you are going to have to do is lightly sand and I MEAN LIGHTLY just til you can get chalk off the box and striker. After you do that yo will have to get soe quaker boy chalk for it, usually the brand call and chalk are meant for each other. It may just be also that you put way too much chalk on it. Try just taking a little bit of it off first. Pat
Old 02-10-2005, 12:14 PM

Why do you emphasize LIGHTLY sanding so much?
Old 02-10-2005, 04:09 PM
JR1

Start sanding too much and you'll take the sound right out of the box. Or at the very least, you'll change the sound dramatically. Once you start sanding wood off, you change the shape of the lid and that changes the sound.

If you can find some of the half moon shaped blue chalk that is out there, I have found it to be very good on every box call I've tried it on. NEVER use chalkboard chalk on a box call.

I suspect you just chalked her up a little too heavy and that a light sanding will get you back to where you need to be.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:14 PM
Typical Buck

Was away for a few days, Thank you JR1, that is exactly what I meant. I hope it worked out ok for you Jorge. Pat
Old 02-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some boxes just don't like chaulk. If you still can't get the sound you want, try rosin. A sports store should have a rosin bag for baseball, or you can get it at a music store that services violinists.

OR... if you are a traditionalist, you can collect it from pine trees and cook it down and strain it yourself.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:53 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Lynch World Champion Turkey Caller My grandad gave me a couple of years ago. It is old and doesnt make much sound. I was wondering if there was a way to condition it back into working order.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Quaker Boy Grand Old Master and have used Primos box call chalk on it and it works well. I thought I read somewhere that only the lid should be lightly sanded with 120 grit paper, but the sides should never be touched. Has anyone else heard this?
Old 02-16-2005, 01:30 PM

The side of all boxcalls should be wiped clean with a dry cloth, only. The paddle/lid should be chalked lightly and re-chalked only as needed and lightly sanded with medium sandpaper only when re-chalking dosen't restore the call to desided pitch.
If lid is sanded, lightly sand the entire length of the lid, with the grain, and only with enough strokes to remove the "shine" from the lid.

BTW: The only chalk I use is the Burnt Orange colored Boxcall Chalk by HS Strut.