Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Low Maintenance Bow Please.. >

Low Maintenance Bow Please..

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Low Maintenance Bow Please..

Old 12-30-2008, 05:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default Low Maintenance Bow Please..

All -

I am due for a new or lightly used bow this year. I do plan on getting to a proshop and shooting many of the newer brands. Mainly bowtech and Matthews. Will be open to others as well. I don;t buy bows often so this bow will likely last me the next 5-10 years. Or, that is the plan.

I don't mind spending the money on the top of the line if that is the one that makes sense. My problem / Question is this.

I am a bow hunter. I mainly practice with my bow heavy before the season and during the season. Starting in about August. The other time I bring my bow out once a month to dust it off. I do not visit proshops that often and do not really know "all about tuning" bows. I need to get better but, time is everything.

That being said. I am looking for a new bow that matches my style mentioned above. I don;t want to have this thing in the shop checking timing and tuning etc several times a year. Is there a specific type of bow that I should be looking at more than others? Ex. Avoid duel cams and stick with a single cam. Or go with a hybrid.. your be fine?

Any help here would be great.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:33 PM

Default RE: Low Maintenance Bow Please..

Used or marked down year's end bow,, BowTech Guardian. Not much limb preload, no press need to work on it, great string and cables that don't change your peep rotation or point of impact, good speed, forgiving, one of the quietest bows on the planit and easy to tune.
New, state of the art bow,, BowTech Admiral. Has everything above but with more limb preload on new process limbs, new cams that travel 1 1/4 inches less (combined travel) than the Guardian, lighter weight for easier carrying and a 24 to 30 inch draw length adjustment, rotating module system. (nothing to buy to change draw length)

Have fun with your new bow!!
Old 12-30-2008, 09:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree with Gimpy.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Any Hoyt will give you years of enjoyment.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:57 AM
Typical Buck

I am with TFox on this one.
In the shop I work at during the season we see fewer Hoyts come in for repairs than any others.

That being said, regardless of which bow you choose, you should ensure that you have the highest quality string and cables on it. A set of string/cables that stretches or creeps is what will cause you to continually have to tune and tune again.
My personal preference is Vapor Trail. I have had the same set on my Trykon XL for the last 2 years. The bow has only lost about 2 lbs of draw weight and the cams are still in time.
Old 12-31-2008, 12:15 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the advice thus far, I will take all of it into consideration. I know there are lots of other folks are on here. Please feel free to weigh in.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Fork Horn

I will head the advice on the string as I have a older dual cam bow now and was told I have a cheap string. Only way I knew that is when another shop saw it and said, you need new strings, I said...just got them less than 12 months ago...and he explained that it looked like they were cheaper and have stretched.

For lower maintenance should I be looking at staying away from a dual cam bow or with good strings, it is not so much a concern?

Started doing online research on the manufactures sites. Bowtech does not seem to list the weight on the Admiral, Found that a bit odd. My bow now feel like I am holding a bag of concrete. Weight will be important to me as well.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Most newer bows are right in the 4# category,give or take a few ounces.They will be considerably lighter than older bows.

I prefer hybrid over any style cam/cams on the market today.Shoot very well even when not perfectly timed and a simple twist will get the timing right back.

1 cams imo,are a pain in the but to keep everything where they are supposed to be.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:33 PM
Typical Buck

If you're looking used, the classifieds are archerytalk.com are a good place to shop. Keep in mind with a used bow, you most likely won't be able to utilize the warranty.

No matter what you buy, investing in a good set of custom strings will go a long way. Pick your cam and bow by how good it feels to you, then put a good set of strings on it and you'll be set.
Old 01-02-2009, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

I will 2nd the Hybrid cam bows as well. They hold their timing much better than true dual cam bows.