Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Hunting turkeys in Ga, gun ?? >

Hunting turkeys in Ga, gun ??

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Hunting turkeys in Ga, gun ??

Old 11-18-2004, 11:43 PM
TAC

Default Hunting turkeys in Ga, gun ??

Hey all.
I am considering going turkey hunting with my husband in the spring and am considering guns. Can you shoot turkey in Ga with a rifle? If so, which would/do you use?
I have never shot a shotgun. Am relatively new to shooting, but am learning, and having fun.
I use a .243 for deer, and am comfy with it. My husbands 30-30 feels like a cannon to me, and I don't think I'll ever like it or use it. Just too much gun. [:'(]
With this in mind, what do you think of the Mossberg 500 Bantam 22"?
Too much gun also?
What would you recommend I do? Thanks so much!
TAC
Old 11-19-2004, 08:45 AM

Default RE: Hunting turkeys in Ga, gun ??

hello TAC, rifles are not legal in Ga to hunt turkeys.
maybe look at a 20 gauge with a turkey choke and let the birds get in close (30 yards max?). If the hubbys 30-30 is too much gun I'm guesing a 12 gauge with turkey loads will be too much also. You wont be concentrating on the shot if you are scared to pull the trigger. Shoot your hubbys shotgun which I assume is a 12 gauge and try it out. If its too much go down to a 20 gauge and keep your shots at 30 yards. Learn to be able to judge how far 30 yds is by using hubbys decoys.
Prepare to become addicted to turkey hunting!!!!
Old 11-19-2004, 06:09 PM
HUA

TAC, great to see someone getting into hunting the way you are. I have taught weapons marksmanship for 8 years now. 6 years were in the military. (hence my name) REF. what type of shot gun to get...it is a matter of comfortability. I don't like mossbergs but that is my opinion.(chevy vs ford syndrome) I like Remington 870's for turkey with a super full choke. (law enforcement, military and millions of hunters use remington, not trying to sway you in any way but...) I know guys that live by mossberg too.[:'(]

First things first, DON'T let recoil deter you from getting a higher guage weapon. I will get to this later.

Second-try the weapon at the store as you would in the field. So many people try a weapon by standing by the counter and putting it to their shoulder and say " Oh...that feels nice" but try holding a rem 870 with a 28"barrel in the sitting position while looking down the sights. Then turn your upper body around as far as you can. If you're a smaller framed person this will be a problem. smaller frame body...go with a youth rem 870. (or mossberg).

Now to recoil, so many people are afraid of recoil. For one after you have a turkey or deer in your sights the last thing you will think about is the recoil and when you do shoot the last thing you will feel is the recoil. But to reduce recoil try this method(can be used for any weapon):

Hold the weapon like you would normally. Now push the weapon out with the hand holding the forearm. At the same time pull the weapon into your shoulder(leaving no gap) using your hand near the trigger. What you are trying to do is stretch the weapon apart. This will put alot of the recoil on your arms and not all of it into your shoulder. (the old method was pull the weapon into your shoulder tight using both arms. This only puts 100%of the recoil into your shoulder.)

let me know what you buy and if this method works for you.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:15 PM
TAC

Thanks, Y'all.
Unfortunately, I did not grow up shooting guns, wish I had, it's bothersome to hear that a 13 yr old girl uses a 30-06. [&:] while I feel comfy only with a .243. Oh well, maybe in time.....
It was also suggested that I look into a Rem 1100. What do you think of this? I will do more research, and get back to you. Thanks again!
Old 11-27-2004, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow HUA getting soft?? what happened to your gun ho attitude about mossbergs are trash , you're dumb if you like mossbergs. remington are the best and are far superior to every shotgun in world attitude???? What branch of military did you teach weapons training in?? also how did you teach weapons training for the military for six years if you are only 26 years old?? you mean you made E5 in 2 years granting you enlisted and began basic exactly on your 18th birthday??? so the military and law enforcement only use remingtons???? what military is that? yes alot of law enforcement agencies use remingtons but not all of them do. The only branch of the military I recall using the 870 is the army every other branch is using benellis and mossbergs. I know for a fact the marines use a Mossberg 590 and abandoned the remington 870 in the late 70's for mossbergs. force recon and the seals also use mossberg 590s and or benellis. maybe a couple million hunters use remington shotguns. But most folks i know use benellis berettas and mossbergs only 2 of my friends use remingtons.
Old 11-27-2004, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh!!! by the way I use Mossbergs and like my mossbergs just a tad more then I like my remington 870's just for a few simple reasons. like the position of the safety, over bored and ported barrels and that mossbergs are offered in a parkerized finish.