Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 So No Tips For A New Turkey Hunter ???? >

So No Tips For A New Turkey Hunter ????

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

So No Tips For A New Turkey Hunter ????

Old 11-23-2004, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

Default So No Tips For A New Turkey Hunter ????

Wheres all the turkey experts at????

I thought I would have dozens of people with tips.

Come on some one must have something.

Wheres all the Turkey Hunting Experts At ????

I am disapointed [:@]
Old 11-24-2004, 12:51 AM

Default RE: So No Tips For A New Turkey ????

Well i`m no expert,,, but what is it you want to know?
Old 11-24-2004, 03:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

jr,This time of year this forum is always slow.Wait a couple months and it'll get crazy in here.
Old 11-24-2004, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

my best advice would read all of the older posts you can.....at least when no one is here...lol
Old 11-24-2004, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: So No Tips For A New Turkey Hunter ????

Well i`m no expert,,, but what is it you want to know?
Well I am new to turkey hunting and,

I am as wet behind the ears as a tureky in a puring down rain LoL

I need tips on how to set up and what you do to be a good turkey hunter.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I need tips on how to set up and what you do to be a good turkey hunter
Well let me tell ya you have a long way to go. I am no eddie salter or matt morret, but i can kill with the best of them. What you need to work on is your calling and woodsmenship. Not all turkeys are alike, all scenarios are not alike, it knowing what to do in different situations. I have heard people say toms will not get hung up on a creek if your calling and wont come, when i have seen them fly over a creek to get to me. I have heard people say toms will only come up hill to your calling and will not come down hill, i have had them do both. Get your shotgun camoflouged, get organized with your turkey vest and your gun patterned really good along with the distance. When it becomes spring i will help you from there. After deer season is over is when i start getting ready for turkey camp.

Old 11-24-2004, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Learn to use a mouth call. That will take a little getting used to. Pattern your gun and limit your shots to 25 or 30 yards. Don't try to smoke one at 50 yards. Still more fun calling them in your lap and taking them. Learn where they roost and where they feed. Be patient and sit still. I love to hunt turkeys, because around here, not very many people turkey hunt. Less people in the woods and alot more elbow room.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:54 PM
Typical Buck

Soft and little calling works wonders!

Wearing high rubber boots keeps your feet dry walking through morning dew!

Checking your vest before the hunt is better than waiting until you get responce from a gobbler!

Double up on your socks, never know when you'll have an emergency (like no toilet paper) OK that's a one bad, I'm sorry.

Know your gun! Spend the time and money and pattern it well before the season opens.

Always check where your sitting in the woods! Missed a broadhead few years ago only by inches.

Never go rely on just one hunting spot or one gobbler! Scout, scout and always have a back up spot.

You see my green blazer, go to one of those other spots you scouted Had to throw that one in....lol

If you plan on starting a family, start as soon as your season closes! Most important of all, stop trying ten months before your season opens Another one I just had to throw in!

I've got to go! This is way to too early for me to start getting the fever. You keep on checking in on this forum and like jalvja said, this place will start to strut soon Take care and see ya around
Old 11-24-2004, 08:18 PM

Well the guys and gals on here are putting you on the right path!!!! You need to shoot your gun with different loads and see which load patterns best with your gun. Then check this again at different yards,,,10,20,30,40 you got the picture. You need to know the gun limits and your limits. Dont rush the shot. Patience is the key to turkey hunting. Get some mouth calls and box calls and pratice all the time!!!!!!!! With some calls you buy they have a cd with them to teach you how to use them sound wise, try to do the same when listening to it. Remember with a mouth call you may need to trim them, to fit right in your mouth. Start with triming alittle at a time to much and they wont fit right and you will have a hard time keeping them your mouth. If it is legal in your state get some decoys, a jake and 2 hens works out great if you can use them. Remember when you call if does not sound good to you it may sound good to a turkey or may not. Keep practicing with the calls you buy........ If you have a wood stricker remember if its raining out and they get wet they will not work right so also get a plastic stricker and practice with both...Hope this helps you out alittle but remember I`m no expert just a turkey hunter.....Take care and good luck
Old 11-25-2004, 12:20 AM

Find someone who consistently kills turkeys, and ask to tag along. No piece of advice is more valuable than experience. Avoid people who claim the birds are "henned up", and then claim they're "call shy" the next day. What they're really saying is they don't know how to adapt to a turkey's particular mood that day. I'm no expert either, but somehow manage to tag out in 2 states every year, usually by changing tactics when plan A isn't working out.

Quick Reply: So No Tips For A New Turkey Hunter ????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.