Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

bowhunting turkeys

Old 08-21-2004, 08:11 PM

Default bowhunting turkeys

any advice on bowhunting turkeys?
Old 08-21-2004, 10:28 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: bowhunting turkeys

Practice,Practice,Practice-Patients,Patients,Patients-Get a pop-up blind-I like to use a large Mech-head ie.Rocket Hammerhead to use all the arrows energy on/in the bird,don't want pass thru,arrow still in helps keep him from flying.
Old 08-22-2004, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

i'm going to go for one this year, only have a 3 day hunt when i am able to get one, so we'll see what happens......my sister gave me this life size printable target, i'm tellin' ya, it inspired me to keep shootin', it was great.....keep practicing and take your time......
Old 08-22-2004, 08:21 AM

Learn exactly where the vitals are. Don't be tempted to shoot that big breast. An arrow can sail right through all that meat and the turkey will walk away. I aim at the top of the leg and slightly forward.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:36 PM

Alright, now were talking. Plan on going down this road myself this year.

Hope the responses keep coming.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:52 PM
Typical Buck

Like others have said, practice, practice and practice. And when you get tired, practice some more!!! Get a good blind, use a broadhead that has a wide cutting diameter and practice your "assembly" calls. Like whiskey said, I also shoot for the top of the leg and forward. If a profile shot is not available and you don't want pass on it and the turkey is facing you, shoot center mass. Get ready for some exciting hunting!! Bowhunting turkey is about as good as it gets.[8D]
Old 08-26-2004, 01:57 PM

another thing that you may want to do is use machanicals, cuz that'll slow the arrow down more, a very trust worthy one that i've used is the Gobbler Getter from NAP, it aslo wouldn't hurt to crank your bow down, so the arrows are going slower
good luck

-Hoyt
Old 09-14-2004, 07:42 PM

Is the Gobbler Getter barbed?...if it is make sure its legal where you hunt, second I've heard of using dull broadheads is this feasable/ethical? Third, instead of turning your bow down could you make up some flu-flu arrows?
This will be my first year also and am being perplexed by the shift fom the faster faster faster, lighter lighter lighter, aggressive aggressive aggressive tune of deer hunting to the "just stick it" mentality of turkeys

Lastly, besides, teflon/felt/leather on the prongs is there any other tricks to quieting down the draw of you arrow?