Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

bowhunting turkeys?

Old 01-14-2002, 02:00 PM

Default bowhunting turkeys?

This spring I am going to be bowhunting turkeys in Iowa. And it uses broadheads or bluntheads with a diameter of 9/16..How do you really know the diameter, especially if you already through the box, should the bluntheads be the same diameter of my carbon shaft or what? I dunno, last year was my first year turkey hunting with a gun, and I didnt get one, maybe I should stick with a gun...I dunno, thanks for the help
Old 01-14-2002, 05:06 PM

Default RE: bowhunting turkeys?

Hunting turkey with a shotgun is not an easy task in and of itself. Those Eastern birds you got in Iowa are especially wary. I'd like to see you kill a couple old toms with your shotgun and learn their ways a little before you start chasing them around with a bow. HOWEVER, that said, there isn't anything more satifying than taking a turkey with the bow. If your hearts set on it...best to you and good luck. To aanser you question. Just measure the diameter of your blunt with a rule. I suggest you use a broadhead designed for turkey hunting. I have had great success with the gobbler getter. It is blunt on the tip and the blades are not sharp all the way to the ends to prevent pass throughs.

Old 01-14-2002, 06:34 PM

i've been turkey hunting for only 5 serious years now. 2002 will be my 6th year. i've been fortunate to take 5 birds with the gun. i can't tell you how difficult it is. my favorite hobby is bow hunting whitetails. i took an 8 pointer and 3 does with it in oct/nov 2001. and have killed twenty plus i lost count deer with my bow since 1986. but to turkey hunt with the bow would be a different ball game altogether. i've heard of seasoned turkey bow hunters that go years with out connecting on a bird. i would give it some serious thought and take some turkeys with a gun first, or you may just get frustrated and give up on turkey hunting altogether, thinking it's too hard. just a thought.

Edited by - beretta390 on 01/14/2002 19:36:38
Old 01-14-2002, 07:13 PM

I'm going to throw my two cents in on this one. This is my very first year of turkey hunting. I'm going to get my bow completely worked over at gander mountain, plus pick up my first calls ( mouth calls, at that). I for one would rather try for the next ten years with a bow after turkeys and try firstly with a shotgun. Is shotgunning easier? Perhaps, but just barely. You want to try bowhunting,GO FOR IT!
Old 01-14-2002, 09:01 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-15-2002, 02:41 PM

My suggestion would be if you're set on bowhunting for turkeys get a portable ground blind they hide a lot of mistakes and you can get to full draw alot easier,especially if there is more than one turkey in the bunch.