Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 1st hunt need some help in ohio >

1st hunt need some help in ohio

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

1st hunt need some help in ohio

Old 08-24-2004, 05:00 PM

Default 1st hunt need some help in ohio

Hi Guys,
I'm going on my 1st ever Turkey hunt this fall, and I need a little help. The gun I will be using is my father's older Savage Arms pump. It's chambered for 2 3/4 shells with a adjustable choke. What would be best off using. I would also like to say this site is great! I just keep reading the posts over and over tring to soak up all the great info. Any other advice you send along to a ohio nubie would be great.
Thanks Mark
Old 08-24-2004, 05:15 PM

Default RE: 1st hunt need some help in ohio

First off you're in the right spot. The information given freely here is second to none. IMHO, in so far as your fire arm choice, look, it's as you say, it's your first ever hunt. Enjoy, and soak it all up. As time goes on and your experience grows you'll find yourself leaning towards what you really want. As for now, just enjoy.

Good luck on your upcoming season.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mark Welcome and don't be scared to join in, Your gun of choice will be fine, using the full choke find some good 2 3/4 magnum copper shot and try to keep your shots to 30 yards. In the fall it is not hard to have the younger birds come in close. Ohio is new to the fall hunting and the birds should work fine for you. Again thanks for joining in...BT
Old 08-24-2004, 07:41 PM

Thanks for the wise words, I know it's only Aug. but I'm already going nuts waiting. Lucky for me must of the outdoor shows on TV are starting to show Turkey tips and I'm going back in my past issues of Ohio Game & Fish to hunt down articles. With these tools and the help of you folks I'm hoping for some good luck.
Thanks Again
Mark
Old 08-31-2004, 07:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

What part of ohio you huntin.......i know there is only a limited amount of counties that participate in the fall season, ill be hunting brown county, how about u? I love when people turkey hunt and i am in my stand it just pushes everything to me!
Old 09-05-2004, 09:24 PM

Waiting to find out for sure but I am betting we will be in ashtubula cty. in northeast Ohio
Old 09-14-2004, 11:27 PM
Typical Buck

Be patient with yourself, hunting them in the fall is somewhat different in the spring. Location, location, location is the name of the game. Find where they are and your golden. Some say to try to break up the flock in the fall, but if you can get that close to break them up, why not just shoot them. Head to toe camo is a must but beware of archers in your area, don't want to bust their hunt up. Have fun and learn how, where , what and why, and you will be on your way. Best wishes.