Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Busting fall flocks with dogs? >

Busting fall flocks with dogs?

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Busting fall flocks with dogs?

Old 07-28-2004, 12:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default Busting fall flocks with dogs?

I live in Ky and was reading our hunting guide today and noticed, starting this year, you can use dogs to flush turkey in the fall. I had never heard of this practice and was wondering if any of you use dogs while turkey hunting in the fall? And if so, please fill me in. Thanx in advance.
Old 07-28-2004, 12:19 AM

Default RE: Busting fall flocks with dogs?

I Just Run At Them And Scatter Them. We Cant Use Dogs Here But If I Could I Wouldnt. I Hear It Works Pretty Good. I Never Really Understood How They Go About It. Good Question T/C
Old 07-28-2004, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hunted in MI one fall and we used a dog for some of that hunt.
The Dog would be in a truck kennel and when we seen a flock of birds in a field that we could hunt, the owner of the dog would stop get the dog out and throw her arm in the direction of the birds. The dog would run that way and as soon as it seen the birds it would run right at them and Bust the flock Up. The dog would then come back when called and place it back into the kennel. We then would head out at the bust site and setup.

Killed two birds at this one place, it was a great way to hunt birds and watch a well trained dog work in this manner.

Others do much the same thing and have trained the dogs to lay quiet at the setup untill the birds regroup. If they regroup out of range the hunter can send the dog out again to rebust the birds...BT
Old 07-29-2004, 10:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

I watched a show where they used dogs to bust a flock in NY. It was a great show and an exceptional dog. They'd walk the woods where they've known birds to be in the past. Of course the dog is trained to smell fresh sign, track and bust the flock. Once the flock is busted the dog layed between the caller/owners legs in a sack until the shotgun went off and the dog busted to retrieve the down bird. I'd support it in that manner. I love to watch dogs do what they love and are trained for. Not much different than hunting grouse, ducks, pheasants etc....with well trained dog......
Old 07-31-2004, 07:23 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-01-2004, 11:08 AM

The Boykin Spaniel was bred as a turkey and duck dog for hunting the Santee-Cooper swamp system of SC. Sneakboats were very small, two men or one man and dog; the boykin fit right in. Called "the dog that dosen't rock the boat".
I had one I hunted waterfowl with and he'd give it all he had when retrieving geese. Stayed out of strong river currents, but they can't be beat in the backwaters of the swamp, where the "Honey-holes" are found.
SC dosen't have a fall season, any longer, due to habitat loss by timber cutting the hardwoods and planting pines. Private property has some large flocks.
Old 08-12-2004, 06:02 PM

Ever wonder where you can hunt fall turkeys with dogs? Then take a look at this site [link]http://trkyhntr.home.att.net/[/link].

This website was developed by a friend of mine Jon Freis and is dedicated to turkey dogs. You can read about the history of turkey hunting with dogs as well as see pictures and read stories that others have shared. Know something about turkey dogs and don't see it there? Just tell Jon and he will add it to the site.

Go check it out and support the American Wild Turkey Hunting Dog Association.
Old 08-15-2004, 08:48 PM

Has anyone checked out the turkey dog site? If so, post up with your feedback.