Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 HELP QUICK , 1 WEEK TO GO!!!! >

HELP QUICK , 1 WEEK TO GO!!!!

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

HELP QUICK , 1 WEEK TO GO!!!!

Old 05-23-2004, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default HELP QUICK , 1 WEEK TO GO!!!!

Ok heres the scoop , i know where they r , they sleep in the same place every single night , i dont even have to put them to roost to know they r there... so heres the deal , every morning they fly down , and always seem to fly jsut over a noll or something , to block my view of them , so i sit for atleast 45 mins - 1hr without hearing or seeing them , what should i do , sit tight and be patient , hope they r just taking the long way back around to me , or just peek to see if they r still there , or just rush at them when they hit the ground ????

im lost on these birds , they seem to vanish once on the ground without a peep, then well after light one that lives on the other side of the farm im guessing on the nieghboring property will start gobblin , i dunno where they go , its a nice lil flock of about 7 birds , 2 long beards , 2 jakes , and 3 hens ... how should i hunt them if i know there trees that i can pin point night after night with 110% accuracy? they have outsmarted me 2 yrs in a row in the same roosting spot.
Old 05-23-2004, 08:11 PM

Default RE: HELP QUICK , 1 WEEK TO GO!!!!

It sonds like you and I have a lot in coinbut I would be pashont good luck
Old 05-24-2004, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

If they are roosting in the same place every night then I'm sure after fly down they are going to the same place. FIND OUT WERE THEY ARE GOING AFTER FLY DOWN!!!!!

Sounds like you might need me to come up and give you a hand
Old 05-25-2004, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

thats the thing , if i hunt them from low , they go high , if i go high , they go low , if i box them in with other people they fly across the valley , they are just not turkeys i tell ya !

I am hunting friday and saturday , and im gonna hopefully slam one them , but they r jsut rediculous , if not this spring , ill atleast get a hen this fall... but i want my spring brute...
Old 05-25-2004, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

DL, this sounds like the same problem most have with birds of this type.

Something alot of Turkey hunters have a problem with is Movement while they wait for flydown time. Most hunters get figety and don't realize it.

There is a number of ways to work birds of this manner, and getting in early and wait out the first gobble, is a start.

When entering the Woods and importantly the roosting area, Noise is a very big consern. Enter as quiet as possible and get close to the first gobble you hear. 60-100 yards is best. Sit down quiet and sit still when waiting out the birds, do not force the birds to Gobble. If you have too only Cluck very soft a few times and once you do this call , Sit very still as the birds in the trees are going to be looking for the hen. Don't call any more untill they flydown.

Once on the ground, only call soft and keep it Brief/Short.
Listen very close and keep an eye out for silent Birds, Have the gun Butt under your armpit and on your knee so you can make a move easyly.

Do Not Call agressive to birds that are silent....BT
Old 05-25-2004, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'll add to BT's comments...

You can bust them off the roost in the evening. At this point---2 years running with less than a week left---give anything/everything a shot.

Break them up after they roost. The hens/toms WILL get separated, and in the morning the gobblers will probably be going bonkers. I say probably because this will depend on temp, wind, precip, etcetera.

You may also want to try later in the morning, around 10, when these hens return to their nests and the gobblers get "lookin' for ladies"...

It sounds as if these birds do not have a regular routine. These are the hardest birds to hunt, simply because they are very difficult to pattern. Which, in essence, means you are behind the 8-ball and you really have nothing to lose...ie, go for it and get aggressive! Not in your calling, because this late in the season the hens are not very vocal, but in your strategy. If you think you can get to within 60 yards of the roost, try to get to 50. If you think they flew down over a knoll and are at the bottom, belly-crawl to the ridge and try and get a shot. I'm sure you get the picture.

At the end of the season, this is the time to have fun, because the next season is an entire calendar year away...

S&R