HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - HELP QUICK , 1 WEEK TO GO!!!!
View Single Post
Old 05-25-2004, 06:36 PM
Strut&Rut
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: HELP QUICK , 1 WEEK TO GO!!!!

I'll add to BT's comments...

You can bust them off the roost in the evening. At this point---2 years running with less than a week left---give anything/everything a shot.

Break them up after they roost. The hens/toms WILL get separated, and in the morning the gobblers will probably be going bonkers. I say probably because this will depend on temp, wind, precip, etcetera.

You may also want to try later in the morning, around 10, when these hens return to their nests and the gobblers get "lookin' for ladies"...

It sounds as if these birds do not have a regular routine. These are the hardest birds to hunt, simply because they are very difficult to pattern. Which, in essence, means you are behind the 8-ball and you really have nothing to lose...ie, go for it and get aggressive! Not in your calling, because this late in the season the hens are not very vocal, but in your strategy. If you think you can get to within 60 yards of the roost, try to get to 50. If you think they flew down over a knoll and are at the bottom, belly-crawl to the ridge and try and get a shot. I'm sure you get the picture.

At the end of the season, this is the time to have fun, because the next season is an entire calendar year away...

S&R