Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New York Opener 2004

Old 05-01-2004, 08:14 PM

Default New York Opener 2004

Well yet another opening day has pasted. Have to say it was my best opening day to date.Now I have been hunting spring turkey for 15 years give or take and I have shot my fair share of spring birds some big some small I even shot a 21 lb double spured bird (spurs where 1 1/4&5/8and 1 1/8&5/8). Some came easy others I worked my @#$ off for.Over the years I hve gotten high tec with my gun Back bored, polished bore, length forcing cone, too many chokes,sights and scopes to list. I have enough partial boxs of shotgun shells to last a life time.I'm a gadget guy if it's a new gadget I have to have it ,90% of these items sit in my shop gathering dust but I had to have it.I've enjoyed the trip over over the last 15 or so years.
Well today I have gone a new direction, this might be a passing phase or it might not but I have to say today was the best day I have ever expericenced in the spring turkey woods today I joined the ranks of the smoke pole turkey hunter!!!! What a blast I had today.My gun of choice is a old side by side percussion muzzle loader from around 1860's. I've fooled around with loads for this gun now for 2 months and finally found the right combo of powder, over cards, felt cushion wad, shot size and amount,that at 30 yards with the cylinder bore barrels I can pattern at least 12 shots in the head and neck.I've also made my own powder horn with scrimshawed strutting turkey.I've lost my turkey vest for a possible bag which forced me to leave most of my gadgets at home. Today there was no wondering which friction call of the 5 that I carried to use or which of the 8 strikers I should use or perhaps I should use 1 of the 3 box calls I carried. then there was the many mouth calls.Well today it was 1 slate call,1 crystal, 2 strikers,1 box call and 3 mouth calls. Wow life was never so simple!!!!
The birds where at every point of the compass this AM,and the first birds I worked took 3 hours to convince to come and take a look but as luck would have it a car came by as they approched that 30 yd mark and spooked them.Next was a bird that gobbled so much that I stoped counting I mean he gobbled at everything stringing 3 to 6 gobbles in a row together he came in,in 45 min. and gave me a grand show at 20 yds. for 15 min. Gobbling, spiting, drumming and strutting. He was about 16-18 lbs maybe an 8'' beard and the spurs looked to be about .5-.75''.Figured I would let him walk on by As it was only the first day and I have the whole month to go.Next I worked a pair of birds and I new that the one was a good one, you know how you get that feeling just by hearing his gobble,real deep and throathy.This pair took about 1 1/2 hours to work in to 30 yards and when they got to 20 yards and didn't find the hen they where looking for they started to drift off thats when I droped the hammer on the boss bird.Dumped him clean at 30 yds he never moved. He was a good two year old, 22 lbs, 3/4'' spurs and 9 1/2'' beard. It was just a great day in the spring woods.Sorry for rambling on for so long but I just wanted to past this experience on.I think my going to a back to basics attitude has added that much more to the enjoyment of my hunting.
Now for bird number two maybe I'll use the bow,yea the bow that shoud be a challenge.Would love to hear from any off you smoke pole hunters out there.By the way I live and hunt in the Catskills in and around the Margaretville area. any body else in this neck of the woods let's hear from you.Best off luck to eveyone out there and keep your powder dry!
P.S this bird will go to team 5 for the turkey challenge
Old 05-01-2004, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New York Opener 2004

congrats[8D] i bet the old smokepole was so awesome....thanks for sharing your hunt with us