Community
Northeast ME, NH, VT, NY, CT, RI, MA, PA, DE, WV, MD, NJ Remember, the Regional forums are for hunting topics only.

EHD IN NEW YORK

Old 10-18-2007, 10:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default EHD IN NEW YORK

isnt that freakin wonderful.....confirmed by biologist ward stone.

6 dead ones on the property i hunt south of albany

lots of "new" bugs and diseases popping up. makes you wonder where we're headed...
Old 10-19-2007, 03:54 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: EHD IN NEW YORK

Definitely bad news. What we need is a cold snap to kill the bugs that carry the disease.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:14 AM
Fork Horn

Funny you say this. I work with a guy that lives in PA. He came into work the other day and told me about this 4 pt buck that was dying on his front lawn. He said there were no apparant bullet or arrow holes but the deer was just laying there fading away. He called the DEC and town but they failed to respond for 2 days. He has not heard of anything since. He said the deer was too far from the road for a possible auto accident. Not sure what happened here
Old 10-19-2007, 05:38 AM
Dominant Buck

EHD is not "new", it's been around as long as there have been deer and the bugs that spread it. Disease is just nature's response to a particular condition, it isn't evil or unfair. Feel fortunate that you're not getting it as bad as we are in Indiana, we've had cases of 100+ deer dropping from it in a single park.
Old 10-19-2007, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

theres something id like to discuss.

Take ticks , for instance. i've been in the woods DAILY for nearly 30 years. never saw a tick, never even heard of them. All of a sudden they are EVERYWHERE and we have this "NEW" disease, LYME...please explain?

VHS disease---never had it in NY, never heard of it. now you can't buy bait in new york because ENCON is terrified it will wipe out the fish populations....it is a hemmoraghic disease, ..hmmm

EHD-- been around forever, huh? then why werent cases documented 20 years ago? you mean to tell me that the "midges" that carry this disease suddenly decided to fly to ny?... also a hemmoraghis disease...hmmm

CWD--- you know the drill...

Crutzfel-Jakobsens (SP?) another good one.

the list goes on and on.

so whats the deal? too much MAN messing with the environment? genetic manipulation? unsafe experiments?
whitetail deer breeding has become such a big industry because everyone is so fixated on antlers, who knows what these backyard "scientists" are cooking up?

ok, rant over.

discuss?
Old 10-19-2007, 07:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

EHD is much more prevalent in the south and west, where its warmer and drier.

the reason you never heard of it is because the cold normally kills off what causes this. but with all the warm weather we've been having, its been heading north. if the cold comes, it should stop it. for now.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

absolutely correct, kobear.. where was EHD in those regions 50 years ago??????? nothing i could find....

my point is , the weather is screwed up, migratory animals don't migrate anymore, what is going on?

i'm not saying theres black helicopters and cougars around, but i am sounding a little paranoid, huh?
Old 10-19-2007, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

There IS something going on with the climate, that's for sure! Heck 30 years ago when I started hunting it would be freezing with snow every year during the November deer season. In the last few years, one barely needs a heavier coat to hunt and snow has been almost non-existant in November. Did anyone notice just how green the woods still are this year? It's really amazing. The place I hunt in Delaware county would always be in peak fall colors by the 10th of October. I was up this past weekend and it was nowhere near peak and pretty much all still green. I don't know what is happening, but something surely IS! When I was a kid one would start wearing jackets in September because it had cooled off quit a bit already. Here we are this year almost into the third week of October and temperatures are well into the 70's still.

I agree that game farms are a detriment to wild herds. I don't know if they have anything to do with EHD, but it surely contributed to CWD in many parts of North America. I also just can't get over the fact that some hunters can brag about killing a deer that was bred like cattle in one of these farms. Like killing any deer, even a wild one makes someone a superman that needs to be bowed down to by the rest of us lowly folks!

Old 10-19-2007, 02:36 PM
Fork Horn

Link??
Old 10-19-2007, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

http://www.dec.ny.gov/press/39153.html

Quick Reply: EHD IN NEW YORK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.