Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 youth hunt and opening day >

youth hunt and opening day

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

youth hunt and opening day

Old 04-28-2004, 09:04 PM

Default youth hunt and opening day

this past weekend was the ohio youth hunt and i took out my neighbors son. we heard 12 birds from one spot and had one in but he had to sneeze when i had him coming at about 50 yards. i laughed and told him it was ok well get on another one. so we sat up on another one and called him in from down in a hollow up to a flat just inside the woods edge, he was 22lb 9 1/2 beard and 1 1/4 spurs.

monday was the opener here in ohio so me and my buddy went out befre dark to our hayfield and i told him there will be a gobbler struttin, shure enough there he was with 6 hens and 8 jakes. the next morning i was in the woods at 4:45 i was set up about 60 yards from the hens and jakes but the gobbler was about 100 he has been roosting in the same tree right beside an old tree stand for the last 3 weeks.. the jakes flew down and stoodbehind me for 20 min. the gobbler stayed around thepoint from my sight for at least 30 or 40 min with the hens, i started calling when the jakes got behind me and i heard another gobbler come from over the hill behind me and stood with the jakes. then i look back down to where i figure this gobbler will come out . and there he satands strutting at about 20 yards and gobbling at the jakes and looking for me, he had left his hens and came my way. i let him come into my lap and then let him have it. finally had him a 7:45. he was 23 lb 10 3/4 beard and 1 1/2 spurs.
Old 04-28-2004, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: youth hunt and opening day

Sound like awesome hunts!! Congrats on the bird!!
Old 04-30-2004, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like awesome hunts!!! Congrats on the bird!!! [8D]
Old 04-30-2004, 07:58 PM

Isn't a great feeling getting youth involved in the outdoors!