Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Coyote attacks my decoys. >

Coyote attacks my decoys.

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Coyote attacks my decoys.

Old 04-24-2004, 03:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Coyote attacks my decoys.

Well, Saturday morning in Mo was quite wet, with flooding type rains for the last few days there was water everywhere, Since I can't hunt anymore until Monday I took a buddy that has been wanting to go, he was carrying the gun and I was carrying the video camera, We did'nt do much good except get several hens on video, then just before we was leaving our set-up which was in an old run-down barn, we spotted a coyote about 150 yards away in the field eyeing my decoys, I grabbed the camera and started calling, It was a blast to see him slipping up on the decoys, It took him about 10 minutes to cover the 150 yards, them in stealth mode from about 20 yards he busted a jake decoy at full speed, as soon as he got a mouth full of rubber decoy instead of feathers I guess he knew something was'nt right and he left there like a scalded cat. My buddy never did get a shot at him but that was one great experience. I wish I could put the video on here for you all to see.
Old 04-24-2004, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Coyote attacks my decoys.

lol....neat story. I've seen it happen on video before but never in real life.
Old 04-24-2004, 04:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah I have saw it on the hunting shows before but never first hand, Man I just bust out laughing everytime I watch it. My buddy said he was not able to get a shot, but I think he was just struck with awe or something, I wonder if there is anything like coyote fever LOL.
Old 04-24-2004, 07:33 PM
Typical Buck

..Happen to me and my-ex once strut,she blasted it with a 20 gauge,most have over shot
the yote...but it was exciting..but the bad thing,the yote shut the gobbler up that was trotting to my calling..but it was fun...
Old 04-24-2004, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yeah I have called one or 2 in before while turkey hunting but I've never had one to jump my deeks, It was fun watching .
Old 04-25-2004, 07:24 AM
VP

Thats always pretty neat watching em slip in on ya,,,,,,,Except when you dont see em-
I had set up on a bird once and didnt have time to set the decs out and was concentrating on seeing this bird because he was so close, he stopped gobblin after about 3-4 minutes and I went into that 1000yd stare trying to check for movement when all of a sudden I hear the sound of feet behind me in the leaves,,,, I'm thinking its the turkey about 5-10 ft behind me and to the right so I'm tryng to figure out how I'm gonna swing on em, I start catching movement out of the corner of my eye and I knew it wasnt a bird,, startled me so much I jerked my head to see, the yote(A VERY LARGE MALE) jumped about 8ft straight up-I know it was 8 ft cause I was up their with em,,,we both made funny noises on the way up and down,,,, anyway he got a load of hevishot in his backside as he was running away and it slowed em down enough for the kill,,
Took me about 15 minutes to get my wits about me again,
Old 04-25-2004, 12:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last year, I had a red fox ruin what what likely have resulted in a kill when he charged my decoy. It startled me and when I flinched, he saw me and took off right in the direction of the gobbler that was just strutting into shotgun range. Didn't seem quite as funny at the time.
Old 04-25-2004, 03:46 PM

I hunt in MO and this week i had a coytoe come within 10 feet of me and my decoy they are out of season right know so i just poped up a little and gave him a boo and he ran away .....Friend that owen's that farm sad i should have shot him they try to get the calf's what would you do lisen to the MO con or land owener?
Old 04-25-2004, 05:04 PM

we have had trouble on our farm w/ yotes attacking the cows when giving birth, and also the new borns, so i say shoot them all.
Old 04-25-2004, 05:53 PM
CJW

I had one attack my decoy this morning. He was about 30 yards past my decoy and hadn't seen it yet because of a hill. I barely saw him before he slipped back over the hill, and then I hit the slate call and saw him move along the treeline. About 3-4 minutes later he appeared about 15 feet from my decoy and attacked it. In a split second he knew it wasn't real and proceded to run straigh at me. He moved so fast at the decoy that I barely got a shot off and I think I missed him clean, even though he was only about 6 yds. away. I shot my other two shells and proceded to miss. It was the funniest thing I've ever seen though.

I think this was the same coyote I called in 2 times the day before. He definitely has a taste for turkey.

CJW

Quick Reply: Coyote attacks my decoys.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.