Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 Opening Youth day harvest >

Opening Youth day harvest

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Opening Youth day harvest

Old 04-08-2009, 10:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default Opening Youth day harvest

Hey guys, my boy killed a fine jake on youth day here in NC and wanted to tell you all how it went down so here it is:

Dad had been watching these flocks of turkeys for over a week These were the birds that Dad had roosted yesterday evening. This was the same place where Dad killed his gobbler last year so he knew exactly where we would sit. We set up just inside the edge of the woods and then snuck into the field and set up B Mobile and She Mobile. While we were getting them set up a bird started gobbling real close to us. We got back into the edge of the field and I got my shooting sticks set up and rested the barrel of my Remington 870, 20 gauge turkey gun on them and waited as Dad got his slate call out and put a mouth call in his mouth. It wasn't long before Dad was talking to them turkey like he knew by name. He would yelp at them and they would cut him off every time. The sound of a big ole tom is a beautiful sound and within 5 minutes we had birds gobbling in all directions. About 30 minutes later we had send 6 hens and 2 jakes but the morning wasn't over. We saw 2 jakes, dad calls them Bull Jakes because they are so big. Dad spotted two birds on the other side of the fields and within a couple of minutes of calling, the 2 big jakes were at the decoys which were only 20 yards away. Dad told me which one was the biggest so I kept my gun aimed at him. It was so nice to see what all the hard work was about to come to. I killed a jake last year and swore that I was going to hold out for a big one but this a felt perfect so at 23 yards I pulled the trigger and and filled his neck and head with turkey shot. I was so happy and owe Dad so much for all that he has done to help me get my bird. I LOVE YOU DAD. Here's a pictures of my bird. I'm on the left.....smiling.

Old 04-09-2009, 06:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Opening Youth day harvest

Awesome!!! We have our state's first youth hunt coming up the 25th... Can't wait.. hope we are as succesful as you!!
Congrats... the smile says it all...
Old 04-10-2009, 03:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats
Old 04-10-2009, 05:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great job! Congrats on another bird.

You're a very good writer for a young man. Keep up the good work.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

Great job!
I just lost my dad last Sunday and we never hunted together. You are a lucky kid and he is lucky that you love and respect him so much! Keep building those memories.... no one lives forever.

D
Old 04-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

Thats awesome. congrats