Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

friction call material

Old 04-20-2004, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default friction call material

Have you found a difference in the effectivness of either slate, glass,aluminum,etc. in the friction calls surface?
Old 04-20-2004, 08:00 PM

Default RE: friction call material

I carry all 3 types into the woods with me. All of them have done the trick for me on different occasions. The slate seems to work best for me when using soft clucks, purrs and yelps. The aluminum and glass surfaces are louder and I like to use them when I am calling more aggresively. Also the type of striker you use with each surface changes the tone and volume. My personal favorite is the aluminum surface because I can call soft and loud with it.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:07 PM

i havent had much luck with the slate or glass surfaces...they work ok...but only really quiet.. i like aluminum...very diverse...can be loud and quiet. strikers make a large difference. I have never got the carbon (plastic) striker to work well on any of these surfaces...its all about the wood striker for me.
Old 04-21-2004, 04:41 AM

I don't know if effectivness can be acurately determined b/c the sound of a call is by personal preference. If you prefer glass over another surface then that's the call you'll use the most "ol faithful", you'll have more confidence with the call & you'll practice with it more. Same goes for the other surfaces as well. I think IMO it would be totally impossible to find someone who doesn't have a preference with one or the other to use all on a constant basis in a study. They all work well on getting the job done, they fool Gobblers every year. My .02
Old 04-21-2004, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Every surface with a striker can give you a different Tone, on the most part one material will work, but then if you want to percise the sound of the calls you do then playing with the different surfaces is a better thought.
I just Won an NWTF Friction Comp. this past weekend and used 3 different materials for each call I had to do and all different strikers aswell...BT
Old 04-21-2004, 06:35 PM
Typical Buck

Hey adrian, what call did u use to win the contest?and congats!
Old 04-22-2004, 03:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

I used the Eradicator Slate for Tree yelps,
Eradicator Glass for Cutting and the Purr
and a Triple Threat (Aluminum) for Yelping

...BT
Old 04-22-2004, 03:03 PM

I like to use my Silver Queen(Aluminum) to locate the birds. Once they start coming in I use my Old Yellow to bing them in the rest of the way, with soft clucks and purrs. I'll stop calling and let the Tom Gobble to me then I do a few clucks and purrs DON'T over call....
Old 04-22-2004, 04:26 PM
Fork Horn

I use the glass call and this works well for me. I have all three but the class preform much better. I think its whatever the person is more comfortable with.