Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

friction or box call?

Old 04-03-2006, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default friction or box call?

wich one is better a friction or box call? thank you
Old 04-03-2006, 11:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: friction or box call?

G O N, a box call is a friction call. It works on friction between the paddle and the box....

I'm assuming your refering to a "pot" call and a box call, again both being friction calls and both having their place in the turkey woods. Neither works better than the other on any given day and both work better than the other on a given day....it all depends on what a particular bird wants to hear. I'll use a pot call more often than a box call but never leave a setup or area without first calling with the box call. There have been times when the the only call that works is a box call and there have been other times when the only call that works is the pot call and then again, there are times it's all about the mouth call...it just depends on the birds and what they want to hear....

It's best to have at least one of every call because of this reason. If you don't, you might walk by a bird that doesn't answer the other calls....

Examples of friction calls but not limited to are,

Glass and slate pot calls...and other materials
Box calls
Paddle boat box calls,
push/pull button box calls
etc...
Old 04-03-2006, 11:35 AM

Not to be technical, but a box call is a friction call. With that said; I have had success with both and I believe both have their place. I have the Freak by Primos w/crystal and I use that now more often than my box. However, on windy days I think the box call will carry further. Just my opinion. Good luck.
Old 04-03-2006, 12:35 PM
Fork Horn

Yeah!!!!!thats what i mean a glasspot call and a box call what if the stick thing that you rub agaisnt the glass is carbon? is wood better or carbon?
Old 04-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's my first year hunting turkeys and i've tried a pot call but it was more difficult to master. This year I'll use a box call and a push pin call next year I'll learn to use the pot call. The mouth call I don't know I have enough trouble with goose calls and duck calls but I'll give it a try
Old 04-04-2006, 05:41 PM

What Rob said about the call basically holds true with the strikers; If you use a crystal call with a carbon or acrylic striker it will work when wet. That is the primary reason that I bought the Freak w/ crystal.

I carry three different strikers into the woods. Good luck.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:51 PM

They each have their place. I carry a slate, glass and aluminum and 3 different strikers. I also carry a box call. Each has it's own sound, and just like us listening to different girls talk, we like one voice more than another, as does a turkey. But, if I could only carry one, it would be a glass call w/ a rosewood striker.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like em both. Being realitively new, don't have much experience with mouth call. Seem to do pretty good with the box and friction. At least I can get 'em talking and close, but not close enough to shoot! [8D]
Old 04-04-2006, 08:46 PM

im not a big fan of the box call..i love to use the pot calls, with two different strikers at least. I have glass, double glass, and slate calls. They all sound different and i carry each into the woods with me. The carbon and a acryllic strikers produce a higher, clearer note for me, and the wooden strikers produce a good raspy sound in my opinion. You can mix your different strikers with different kinds of pot calls hen yelps, clucks, cutts, cackles, etc...because all hens dont sound the same. You need variety..an arsenal of calls so to speak..a turkey hunter can never have too many calls..i also have about nine different mouth calls but i bring my three favorite into the woods with me. But, the box call does work well on windy days, and again, it makes a different sound of a hen.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:55 PM
Fork Horn

well thank you everybody for the info that really helped alot

Quick Reply: friction or box call?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.