Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 A First for everyone involved >

A First for everyone involved

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

A First for everyone involved

Old 04-07-2004, 04:44 PM

Default A First for everyone involved

My brother, and friend and I got a lease in Childress, TX in the middle of last year. We missed spring turkey last year . . . but after the crazy amounts of turkey we saw during last year, we weren't about to miss it this spring.

It was the first time to actually sit out and turkey hunt for all 3 of us. My brother got one opening morning . . . the rest of us saw several . . just couldnt couldnt line one up for one reason or another.

Ive never seen as many turkey as we see on our land . . . when we run across packs of turkey . . . its generally 30 - 40 . . . and the most was a pack of close to 150. I know very little about turkey hunting . . but these numbers seem unbelievable to me. Those numbers aren't common . . am I right?

Anyways . . . a couple of pics . . . 3 of the bird we got this past weekend (not as big as the usual ones we run across) and one of the packs we generally see.

We're going back next weekend . . . hopefully ill have a bird of my own to post!

Enjoy!

Old 04-07-2004, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A First for everyone involved

You're a lucky man, man! Been thinking about moving to TX every once in a while. Pix. like that last one make it happen even more often.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rally Call, Guys!!

This poor soul needs help! We have to put a serious dent in that population before they ravage the countryside like lucust!

Don't worry, thisfatguy, the troops are on the way!! Just tell us where to turn!

Man, I hope you know how lucky you are!! The rest of us just dream of getting into turkeys that thick! Hope you enjoy your spring...

But if you need help thining them out, just give me a yell!
Old 04-07-2004, 05:10 PM
Fork Horn

When was that pic taken? Fall or spring? Cause in the spring i don't think you can use feeders (considered baiting) at least not here.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:15 PM

I'ev got about 5 1/2 weeks vac. just give me a call and I be on the plane to Texas.[8D]
You need help bad.
Old 04-07-2004, 05:49 PM

thanks guys . . . I appreciate the offers . . . but im gonna have to pass for right now. I certainly can appreciate how lucky we are. Ive been told that turkeys have been known to move on after a while . . is that true? They've been known to just disappear from one season to the next . . . sound familiar?

If thats the case Ill be sad to see these little guys go . . . best get my huntin in while I can.

The picture of the flock was in the middle of november . . . my brother was actually deer hunting at the time. Baiting Turkey in texas isn't illegal . . . at least not that im aware of.

Couple more pics of the turkey

Old 04-08-2004, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, sounds to me like you are hunting in "self defense"!

From the "tale of the tape" I wouldn't consider those toms to small. [:-]

Congratulations!
Old 04-08-2004, 06:35 PM

during deer season (nov 2002) my cousin counted 192 turkeys that flew off the roost shorlty after daybreak, i have seen as many as 147 in one flock feeding in a cornfield.

they do move to different areas at different times of the year, in 2003 we didnt see anywhere near that amount. not sure why they migrate to different areas but it does happen.