Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 What exactly is involved >

What exactly is involved

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

What exactly is involved

Old 11-26-2003, 01:01 AM

Default What exactly is involved

In tuning a bow? I was going to get this guy to do it but after reading what you guys wrote, 25 bucks is more than half of what I can get somewhere else. I hate dishonest ppl. Thats whats with the world now days, this is why the world is going to hell. Ppl try to scam you just to try and make a little more money off you, thats why I stopped buying New vehicles years ago, I buy good used ones from a private selling like on ebay. Anyway, whats involved doing this? Will guys at Wal-Mart do it or Ace Hardware, Lowells?
Old 11-26-2003, 05:04 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: What exactly is involved

Anyway, whats involved doing this? Will guys at Wal-Mart do it or Ace Hardware, Lowells?
Definitely not...at least not if you want it setup correctly. Tuning a bow involves adjusting various components and settings. Examples of this would be adjusting nock height, center shot, spring tension....tiller setting, cam timing, etc....

Definitely take it to a reputable pro shop to get it done. To put it into perspective, I would rather shoot crappy arrows out of a $50 Ebay special provided it is tuned correctly in comparison to shooting the best arrows out of a top of the line bow with high dollar accessories which is not tuned correctly.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don' t forget that not all shops are going to be the same. You may easily be able to save money on getting the bow tuned but that doesn' t mean the person is going to do as good a job.
Old 11-26-2003, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my opinion, you' ll only run into a scammer/bad dealer every once in a great while.

You need to keep in mind, most shops are in business to make a living (just like all the rest of the world, heck, even the employees at wal mart, etc. etc.) and their time is very valuable when it comes to " doing their thing" .

They' re really no different than say a car mechanic, if I can' t or don' t want to work on my own vehicle, I have to pay the mechanics fee to do the work for me. That' s just one sample.....

Just my thoughts on the subject...

Regards, Pat
Old 11-26-2003, 06:16 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-26-2003, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Navy,
That doesn' t mean the bow is tuned. That just means the bow shot a bullet hole through paper at that one distance. Paper tuning involves shooting at various distances out to about 20ft or so, After 10 yards your fletching will control the arrow.
My suggestion for many is to join a club and watch who is shooting sosme of the best scores consistently. Get to know them and ask questions about tuning and shooting form. Most guys are more than willing to help with both. And it won' t cost anything while you' re leaning and making new friends.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I gave you a few suggestion on another one of your posts if you want to try it yourself (for free) and see how it works.

But, if a shop can get your bow tuned properly for $25, and that allows you to shoot better, and keep the old bow that you have (and probably couldn' t get much if you did want to sell it), then it is $25 well spent. If you watch how the guy at the shop tunes the bow (if that is a possiblilty), you will also learn a lot of valuable information. It will be an excellent value, not a rip-off in any way.

You can' t get this done at Wal-Mart. You need to go to an archery Pro Shop.[]
Old 11-30-2003, 04:35 AM

Go here:

http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloads/

and download the " Easton Tuning Guide" it will help ya a bunch! Be safe.
Shoot Straight
Derbytown