Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Get the Kids involved! >

Get the Kids involved!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Get the Kids involved!

Old 09-02-2007, 01:28 PM
Spike

Default Get the Kids involved!

Come on guys, lets get the kids involved and share our passion for hunting & shooting!!

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007Sep02/0,4670,FewerHunters,00.html
Old 09-02-2007, 01:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Get the Kids involved!

ORIGINAL: n5638b

Come on guys, lets get the kids involved and share our passion for hunting & shooting!!

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007Sep02/0,4670,FewerHunters,00.html
I actually struggle with this. If you take a neighbor kid hunting, then they expect you to take them all the time--this is an issue because most of the places I have to hunt are two person places at most (25 acres or so). I have taken a kid whose father owns a farm hunting because he loves it and I know he would have a place to hunt if I showed him the ropes---stand selection, setup, shooting etc. I gave him a MLer, a bowand my son gave him a 8mm Mauser rifle.

I know a couple of kids (one 18 and another 15 I believe)in my chuch that I could take, but then I would have to take them all the time, so how do you get around that, without hurting the kid's feelings or disappointing the kid? Chap

Old 09-02-2007, 04:40 PM
Spike

[/quote]

I actually struggle with this. If you take a neighbor kid hunting, then they expect you to take them all the time--this is an issue because most of the places I have to hunt are two person places at most (25 acres or so). I have taken a kid whose father owns a farm hunting because he loves it and I know he would have a place to hunt if I showed him the ropes---stand selection, setup, shooting etc. I gave him a MLer, a bowand my son gave him a 8mm Mauser rifle.

I know a couple of kids (one 18 and another 15 I believe)in my chuch that I could take, but then I would have to take them all the time, so how do you get around that, without hurting the kid's feelings or disappointing the kid? Chap

[/quote]
Not sure how to handle your end with limited space. We are blessed to live where there are millions of acres to freely hunt in. Our group of 5 guys will be going elk hunting this October with 5 boys, my 2 oldest (12&15), two of their friends (12 & 16), theirDad who does not hunt and one other guy is bringing his youngest, 12, for the first time. Who really cares if we fill all of our tags? These boys are going to have the time of their lives, be taught woodsman & hunting skills that will last their lifetimes. Maybe we can mentor one ata time, teach them how to find a place to hunt once they are old enough. If enough of us did that, at least passing on shooting skills & knowledge, I'm sure it would help the decline in hunters.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: n5638b

Not sure how to handle your end with limited space. We are blessed to live where there are millions of acres to freely hunt in. Our group of 5 guys will be going elk hunting this October with 5 boys, my 2 oldest (12&15), two of their friends (12 & 16), theirDad who does not hunt and one other guy is bringing his youngest, 12, for the first time. Who really cares if we fill all of our tags? These boys are going to have the time of their lives, be taught woodsman & hunting skills that will last their lifetimes. Maybe we can mentor one ata time, teach them how to find a place to hunt once they are old enough. If enough of us did that, at least passing on shooting skills & knowledge, I'm sure it would help the decline in hunters.
I agree, that is the best way to go is with several youth and another father, and it would be the hunt of a lifetime for them, I am sure. I have found that if you take someone hunting, even if you tell them that this a one time deal or a two time deal, they kinda expect you to take them once or twice a season from then on. I want to help youth learn, but then to get their own buddy and branch out on their own. I have my own hunting buddy and am not bless with millions of acres. Chap Gleason
Old 09-02-2007, 08:25 PM

I understand what you are saying with limited space to hunt.Around my area you would be lucky to see a handfull of kids out.Iam just happy my two nephews love going with my brother and my dad.We picked up some ground blinds this year so they can fidget a bit.Oldest is 10 youngest is 7.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:29 AM
Fork Horn

Chap, from what I've read, your a good Christian man looking to do the right thing. Doesn't VA have a lot of public land? I think that it does. I would insist that they take a hunter safety course and maybe take them out once or twice and explain to them that the area that you hunt just simply isn't large enough to accommodate that many hunters "safely", and then show them where some public lands are. Just my opinion.
Old 09-03-2007, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bigtimer
Doesn't VA have a lot of public land? I think that it does. I would insist that they take a hunter safety course and maybe take them out once or twice and explain to them that the area that you hunt just simply isn't large enough to accommodate that many hunters "safely", and then show them where some public lands are. Just my opinion.
Yes, VA has a lot of pubic land about 2 hours away in the western part of the state, the George Washington National forest. I use to hunt there 20 years ago and I still have my tent. I have taken aseveral youth to hunter safety course over the years. Maybe that is the solution, go there camping for2 days with a father wholikes to hunt and help with boy scouts. 1st week of November is usually not the bad camping, and it would be great fun for a15 or 16 year old.
Chap
Old 09-03-2007, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Bake North

I understand what you are saying with limited space to hunt.Around my area you would be lucky to see a handfull of kids out.Iam just happy my two nephews love going with my brother and my dad.We picked up some ground blinds this year so they can fidget a bit.Oldest is 10 youngest is 7.
Great idea on the Ground blinds with young people. Your blessed with nephews. I got a couple of grandson's coming up (they are very small yet, but in about 5 they will be ready).
Chap
Old 09-03-2007, 09:34 PM
Spike

Many states, MN & MI for example, have special youth hunts. In Michigan it's the last weekend in September and in MN it's usually in late October. Some of them have restrictions to special areas (typically state parks and refuges). MN requires an early application and has a restriction on the number of permits alloted. I don't recall Michigan having as tight of restrictions but that is Michigan in general. You can't carry a weapon but at least you can spend time in the woods and get a kid exposed to hunting. Plus, you don't have to indoctrinate them into your hunting party.
Old 09-04-2007, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gopherfan

Many states, MN & MI for example, have special youth hunts. In Michigan it's the last weekend in September and in MN it's usually in late October. Some of them have restrictions to special areas (typically state parks and refuges). MN requires an early application and has a restriction on the number of permits alloted. I don't recall Michigan having as tight of restrictions but that is Michigan in general. You can't carry a weapon but at least you can spend time in the woods and get a kid exposed to hunting. Plus, you don't have to indoctrinate them into your hunting party.
I will check into that for VA, NY and Penna, since I hunt in all 3. I recall NY had a special youth license for only $9, so that definitely is the way to go. Maybe Va has that also. I never looked into those rules. Thanks Chap Gleason