Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Scouting report

Old 04-04-2004, 04:02 PM

Default Scouting report

Went to my super secret spot on a scouting mission yesterday, and had a 3 year-old, 4 jakes, a hen and 3 two year-olds come in on me. The 3 year old and one of the 2 year olds were spittin' and drummin'. The sun was out, their blood red heads and iridescent feathers shone, the old boss gobbler strutted about 20 steps away from me for about 10 minutes before he strolled away. It was a glorious time, so much so I felt like I have already had a successful spring, even though the season hasn't even started yet. Not as many birds in the particular woods I hunt, though, as in other years, so I checked out a place I hunted 3-4 years ago, and discovered 150 or so, still in a large winter flock. Looked like a barnyard full of chickens. Spot #2 will have a lot of pressure, I believe, so now I'm on the horns of a dilemma. Do I go where there is little pressure, but few birds, or where there will be a lot of hunters (so many, safety becomes a great concern for me) and many, many turkeys??
Old 04-04-2004, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Scouting report

Safety first. I think that about sums it up if it were me.
Old 04-05-2004, 12:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

If other hunters are there I would either try to get there early or set up a ways away. That way when the flock scatters you can work on 1 part of the flock, doing a "comeback call" and see if you can lure them to another area. I would scout the area for a likely place they may go if scared away.
Old 04-05-2004, 07:37 AM

Thanks for the suggestions/advice guys. I think I'll be heading to my favorite haunt, even though there won't be as many birds there as the other spot. Then, if I am not successful, I'll move after lunch. I also discovered that the vast majority of the turkeys that ordinarily inhabit "my" woods have moved/were in another small patch of woods about a half mile away from "my" woods, where, I suspect, the available food supply is superior. (Looks like "my" woods had a poor mast production.) I can hunt the small patch if I wish, and might do so instead of going to "my" woods. There won't be any pressure there. There's another week before the season opens, too, so I still have time for more information gathering and processing. I think the turkeys will prefer "my" woods when the hens begin active breeding and nesting, because the little patch they're in right now would not be, IMHO a good nesting area/site. I hope the hens drag the toms back to "my" woods, because, to me, the spot is "paradise", and I enjoy walking in heaven. It is not always just about killing a turkey. It is also about taking a walk in the woods, hearing the morning sounds, the babbling, gurgling streams, the rustle of the leaves--seeing a deer or two, the colors of the woods reawakening to springtime, the sights, the sounds and the smells--and just being out there enjoying mother nature. As they say, a bad day hunting is better than a good day working!! I'll have enough time to kill a turkey-- the season lasts longer than just the opening morning!!