Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

870 super mag

Old 03-30-2004, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default 870 super mag

can anyone tell me what loads and chokes there using out of there rem supermag 3 1/2 inch? I need a starting point to start patterning. I have the rem turkey choke that came with the gun on it.
Old 03-30-2004, 08:56 PM

Default RE: 870 super mag

I dont have the super mag but I posted some of my results under a thread that Power started called 870 Hevi results or something similar. Someone on there has a supermag and threw his two cents in. Check that one out.

Andy
Old 03-31-2004, 03:23 AM
Typical Buck

...I had one my friend,that was hards to beat,i shot a ported 665 Hasting,s Choke
win hv #6 shot,it would shread a turkey target at 40 yards best shooting gun i ever
had,money got tight had to sell it,but i did smooth the rear forcing cone myself
and yes there is a rear forcing cone,rough part located just at the end where shell
is put into the barrel,you look and measure that part you see it should be around three
1/2 inches long,and it will be left a rough cut...smoothing this with #000 steel wool
and polish cream,and you wont need a new choke,and yes you here alot of rip-rap
but this is a lenthened rear forcing cone..cut and lenthened from factory,but failed
to smooth it,trust me i have been shooting match for years and have cut and honed
alot of barrels in my time,so make sure you take advice from someone who knows
the ropes on shot-gunning.....thanks..hope i gave you some info on your new
remington that factory dont give,and yes i (MIC) and gauge all barral...
Old 03-31-2004, 05:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rochelle, I shoot an 870 SM, It will shoot most any brand of ammo as long as I stay away from #4 shot, The 4's just won't pattern out of my choke. I have the Rem. Ventilator choke, its a ported .655 choke and at 40 yards its awesome, I have a .660 Rhino choke on the way, everyone says that its the one for Hevi-Shot so I will find out.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:33 PM
Spike

Rochelle, I have a Rem. Super Mag 26" barrel that patterns awesome out to 50 yds. with a Rem. Hevishot choke and Rem. Hevishot 3.5" #5's. I'm getting 16-18 pellets in the head and neck area. I like to call them in close and don't advocate shooting that far but I know if that ol' boy hangs up that the gun is capable of reaching out and touching him. Try the #5s and #6s in Hevishot, if you can swing the dough and see which shoots best. Good luck!
Old 04-02-2004, 05:38 PM

I use federal premium 3'' #6's with a XXX-full comp-n-choke in my 870 super mag
Old 04-02-2004, 08:59 PM

Strut, what shells/shot sizes work good out of that Ventilator choke? I have one and have not been having great success yet. Thanks
Old 04-03-2004, 03:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Big Al, I find the the Winchester copper-plated, the Nitro-Hevi and Remington Hevi shot all shoot pretty well out of my 870 as long as I stay away from the 4's, I tried the Rhino choke today and it beat the Ventilator, not by much but it did throw a little tighter pattern, I was shooting Nitro Hevi-Shot today, #5's, 2 1/4oz loads, I have the pics of my pattern posted on another thread here, check them out.
Old 04-04-2004, 06:06 PM

Thanks for the answer Strut. I did see them on the other thread. I patterned mine yesterday with three different shells, and my results matched yours concerning the #4s. The #5s did much better.

Rochelle, the Ventilator would be a good choice for lead loads, or a Kicks G.T. (The Ventilator will cost less.) If you are wanting to try Hevi-Shot then a Rhino choke would be a good one to try, but if you don't want to spend that much money then you could try a Remington Hevi-Shot choke, or a Briley Hevi-Shot choke. I have a Briley and I like it for the money.