Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
 PATTERNED JELLY HEAD TODAY!!!!! >

PATTERNED JELLY HEAD TODAY!!!!!

Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

PATTERNED JELLY HEAD TODAY!!!!!

Old 02-28-2004, 01:25 PM

Default PATTERNED JELLY HEAD TODAY!!!!!

well we got nice weather today so i went out to the reange to pattern my shotgun with the new jellyhead choke. here are the results.

Using win 3 1/2 hv 2 oz shells/

10 yrds #5 shot blew head in half.
10 yrds #6 shot same results.

27 yrds #5 shot 15 pellets in head and neck region.
27 yrds #6 shot 43 " " " " "

these are the only yardages i could shoot today cause that is what target backboards we have set up there, i will try more yardages tommorrow. As you can see the jellyhead choke is not that impressive with lead shot. so i came home and bought more turkey targets, and a box of rem hevi-shot, cause primos says that they designed the choke for hevi-shot using #6 shot i will try that tommorrow and i will post results.
Then i got out my hs undertaker choke tube to ree the difference with the same shells. here are the results.

10 yrds#5 shot blew head in half on target.
10 yrds#6 shot " " " " " "

27 yrds #5 shot 52 pellets in head and neck region.
27 yrds #6 shot 33 " " " " " "

so then i tried 50 yrds just to see what it would do with the undertaker, cause at this pioint i was not real impressed with the jellyhead choke. here are the results.

50 yrds #5 shot 16 pellets in head and neck region.
50 yrds #6 shot 18 pellets " " " " "

so you can see the real winner here with lead shot would be the hs undertaker choke, but as i said i am going to try the hevi-shot tommorrow with the jellyhead and will post results.
these are with using a mossberg 835 ulti-mag.
PS do you guys think that i should clean my gun before i shoot the hevi-shot tommorrow or wait until i am all done? thank you and god bless.
Old 02-28-2004, 02:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: PATTERNED JELLY HEAD TODAY!!!!!

I'd wait until I was done shooting. I couldn't take it, so I went and ordered the Jelly Head choke a few days ago! Today I went to my buddies shop and bought a box of Rem Hevi-shot #6. I should be shooting it by Monday or Tuesday. Can wait to see how you made out with the Hevi-Shot. What gun are you shooting?
Old 02-28-2004, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just bought TruGlo's strut stopper choke tube and put it in my gun. I am going to pattern it with Hevishot sometime next week. I'll let you know how it patterns.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:53 AM
Spike

Guys, I hate to say it...but in my opinionm your wasting your time. I have basically tried them all. Without a doubt the best choke/pattern combo pattern is the Rhino choke and Nitro ammunition Hevi shot load (NOT Remington Nitro) combination. I know of at least 5 people, (including myself) who use this combination with incredible results. I get over 240 pellets inside a 10" circle t 40 yards which is comparable to the others......it is an awesome set up
Old 02-29-2004, 05:14 AM
Fork Horn

tomahog it might be good in your gun but not in others. As you, I have been in the business for several years and have tried every tube coming and going and by far the best I have shot in my beretta a390 is the kicks .655 with winchester 3" #5 HV's at 50 yards I can put 68 pellets in the head and neck and got the targets to prove it. With the .660 hastings comp-n-choke I can put 46 pellets in the head and neck with the same load. I do know that the Kicks tubes shoot better than most in benelli and berettas. But like you said, this is just an opinion. Good luck hunting and be safe.