Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Contest

Old 02-15-2019, 06:47 AM
  #11  
Fork Horn
 
bornagain64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: lutz, Fl
Posts: 364
Default

Originally Posted by elkman30 View Post
No offense but that decision could have been announced 8 days ago instead of saying you debating whether to have the contest or not. Not saying you shouldn't have put thought into it but posting that you're debating when you're making a solo decision doesn't come across as fair. It's like you're fishing for people to ask you to keep the contest instead of discontinuing it. If you wanted input or even debate, you could have asked for either and let people voice their opinion. At least that way, people could have helped move the discussion towards a decision. As it is, this way just makes people feel like the outcome was already decided and they wasted their time voicing their opinion. Not trying to be disrespectful but this kind of stuff is frustrating for a member.
disagree completely. How do you know how this makes us feel? I looked back over some of your post, and there was a lot of Mod bashing. In my opinion this is why there is less people on this forum: no one wants to ask a question on a forum, just to get criticized are blasted by some big mouth.
bornagain64 is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 09:43 PM
  #12  
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location:
Posts: 782
Default

Okay, agree to disagree. I pointed out how it would have given more people a chance to voice their opinion on if they wanted to see the contest continue. Maybe somebody was willing to step up and help run it. I'm not in everybody else's mind, just offered some ideas and thoughts. I didn't criticize or bash a mod and even said "no offense." Just because I disagree doesn't make it bashing or criticizing or anything other than a different opinion or viewpoint. That's part of what this country is about. Being able to have and voice a different opinion. You on the other hand, just called me a big mouth blasting people. Which is kind of making it personal and like you're bashing. If you disagree, say why. There's no need to make it personal or throw out some insult.
elkman30 is offline  
Old 02-15-2019, 10:06 PM
  #13  
Super Moderator
 
Bocajnala's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Trumbull County, Ohio
Posts: 7,655
Default

I'm just not sure what you think could have been done differently elkman. They made a post asking "who all wants a contest this year?"

And a total of 6 people said they would definitely be involved. It seems to me like they did exactly what you are suggesting that they should have done.

They asked the opinion of the members, got some input, and based their decision on that.

-Jake
Bocajnala is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 07:59 AM
  #14  
Fork Horn
 
bornagain64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: lutz, Fl
Posts: 364
Default

I agree on freedom of speech. Read my post again, I did not call you a big mouth, I did point out that you have bashed the mods. ( several times)
Then I made a statement about why I think the #s are down on this website: I was not calling you a big mouth, just stating what I have seen by others.
I have seen some Novice hunters trying to ask a question, not really knowing what they where doing: just to get bashed or humiliated by some memeber. Instead of the memeber just trying to explain or shed light to the subject, they instead try to make someone look silly. ( again I am not saying you are the member in the above Scenario)
This must be how Trump feels with all the liberals and cnn news turning everything he says around. ( again I am not calling you a liberal or saying you work for cnn)
bornagain64 is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 08:31 AM
  #15  
Super Moderator
Thread Starter
 
Arrowmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Indiana
Posts: 7,168
Default

Originally Posted by elkman30 View Post
No offense but that decision could have been announced 8 days ago instead of saying you debating whether to have the contest or not. Not saying you shouldn't have put thought into it but posting that you're debating when you're making a solo decision doesn't come across as fair. It's like you're fishing for people to ask you to keep the contest instead of discontinuing it. If you wanted input or even debate, you could have asked for either and let people voice their opinion. At least that way, people could have helped move the discussion towards a decision. As it is, this way just makes people feel like the outcome was already decided and they wasted their time voicing their opinion. Not trying to be disrespectful but this kind of stuff is frustrating for a member.
The contest has been in decline for years and not many showed an interest in the contest. That decision was not determined until the other day and then I felt horrible about it..
Arrowmaster is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 09:48 AM
  #16  
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location:
Posts: 782
Default

Originally Posted by bornagain64 View Post
I agree on freedom of speech. Read my post again, I did not call you a big mouth, I did point out that you have bashed the mods. ( several times)
Then I made a statement about why I think the #s are down on this website: I was not calling you a big mouth, just stating what I have seen by others.
I have seen some Novice hunters trying to ask a question, not really knowing what they where doing: just to get bashed or humiliated by some memeber. Instead of the memeber just trying to explain or shed light to the subject, they instead try to make someone look silly. ( again I am not saying you are the member in the above Scenario)
This must be how Trump feels with all the liberals and cnn news turning everything he says around. ( again I am not calling you a liberal or saying you work for cnn)
You do realize your statement about freedom of speech is pretty hollow. You disagree with my opinion and therefore are bad mouthing my speaking and freedom to do so. Read the statement below in quotes. That's what you posted. I think anybody reading the statement below would logically conclude you were talking about me. There's no disclaimer in the original statement telling me (and everyone else) that I am not in that category and every inference that I am. Apparently we do agree on something at least--"no one wants to ask a question on a forum, just to get criticized are blasted by some big mouth." That's kinda how I feel about this whole exchange with you. You honestly may be feeling something different but if you look back through your actual post, your meaning was different.


disagree completely. How do you know how this makes us feel? I looked back over some of your post, and there was a lot of Mod bashing. In my opinion this is why there is less people on this forum: no one wants to ask a question on a forum, just to get criticized are blasted by some big mouth.
elkman30 is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 10:02 AM
  #17  
Fork Horn
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location:
Posts: 422
Default

Ok so I'm a little confused Arrowmaster puts out a post asking about the contest . The only comment from elkman30 was" Don't know a forum named OG but this place has been slowing down for a while. Prolly a lot of reasons why."
Then when Arrowmasters tells us he isn't going to continue with the contest and you now want to complain about his decision !
Timbrhuntr is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 10:05 AM
  #18  
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location:
Posts: 782
Default

For Arrowmaster and Bocajnala, I am honestly not trying to "bash" either one of you or any of that other crap that bornagain guy is claiming. He's upset about something that sounds like it's from other people. I posted "no offense" and meant it. I've been here for a while and have watched the site's changes and slowdown. For people like bornagain, I am not implying you're the cause of it. Just because I don't participate in the turkey contests or any of the other contests doesn't mean I don't read about them and enjoy the posting. IIRC, Arrowmaster, you were a Contest Mod before becoming a SuperMod. I am sure being a SuperMod has lots of other duties involved for what is not a paid position. Again for bornagain, this is not meant as criticism, just an acknowledgement that your job prolly got a lot harder with a lot more stuff added to your duties. I am sure running a contest is a lot of work behind the scenes and not just posting here and there. Again for bornagain, not a criticism.

For bornagain, this entire paragraph below isn't criticism nor an attack either. this is what you call discussing an idea. Arrowmaster, maybe it's time for one of the other guys who do participate in the contest to consider becoming a contest mod and running the contest. I honestly don't know if any of them are interested or willing to do so. You could make the offer and none of them accept. But you would have made the offer and maybe a tradition on this website that we all spend so much time on would still continue. Maybe it would only run for another year or 2. Maybe it would take off. I don't know. I've been on this site for over a decade now. I lurked a lot and used to read it daily. It has slowed down. And that's not the fault of any of the current mods. People have stopped being mods for various reasons. New mods have come on board. Maybe, it's time to see if there's interest in a few members to become a contest mod. That was my original point which got lost with all the bashing by bornagain. If you guys are able to recruit a few new contest mods, maybe in time they will become Super Mods like both of you have. Again, for bornagain, that's not bashing and is actually a compliment. Your feelings tend to misconstrue a lot of my comments so I am "clarifying" them in advance so you don't drag the conversation downhill again.

So Arrowmaster, if you think there's merit in offering contest mod positions, maybe that will end of keeping a tradition alive around here. Which would be a good result.
elkman30 is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 10:09 AM
  #19  
Nontypical Buck
 
RPD63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Lutz, Florida. Turkey woods in the spring.
Posts: 1,137
Default

Originally Posted by Arrowmaster View Post
The contest has been in decline for years and not many showed an interest in the contest. That decision was not determined until the other day and then I felt horrible about it..
Do not let it bother you Kenny. I know you and JW put in a ton of time to keep the contest going. I have done the team captain thing a few times and I know that took considerable time. For years you ran the league and took on the captain role and for that I thank you. Have a great season Kenny and keep in touch.
Ray
RPD63 is offline  
Old 02-16-2019, 10:12 AM
  #20  
Typical Buck
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location:
Posts: 782
Default

Originally Posted by Bocajnala View Post
I'm just not sure what you think could have been done differently elkman. They made a post asking "who all wants a contest this year?"

And a total of 6 people said they would definitely be involved. It seems to me like they did exactly what you are suggesting that they should have done.

They asked the opinion of the members, got some input, and based their decision on that.

-Jake
I sort of answered you in the above post but didn't want to seem rude or like I was ignoring you. You are easily one of the best mods on this site and have always bent over backwards to be fair to members. In fairness though, Arrowmaster did ask for input from members. And they did provide input, exactly as he asked. They were very understanding and respectful too. He didn't ask if anybody wanted to step up and be a replacement contest mod though. That's probably something that admin would have to approve. I don't know. But it would be neat if that happened and another tradition in this place was to continue. I originally stated "no offense" but that seemed to be taken out of context by one member. For that one member who interprets things differently, I have made the above suggestion and reasons for it with absolute respect for the job both you and ArrowMaster do. I am merely suggesting a way for you guys to perhaps get a little more help in running the place and continuing the fun parts of this place.
elkman30 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.