Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Ammo question?

Old 02-11-2014, 10:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

NO on the load!!! Steel #7's game load bad idea.... If you can't afford new shells you prob can't afford to go hunting... Is sit this one out till you learn a little more about the game your tryin to take...
Old 02-11-2014, 10:26 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
NO on the load!!! Steel #7's game load bad idea.... If you can't afford new shells you prob can't afford to go hunting... Is sit this one out till you learn a little more about the game your tryin to take...
I agree 100%. I shoot squrils and rabbits with 7 but that is all. 4 is all I use for turkey. when you get much smaller than 4 you runn the risk of wounding the bird and letting it suffer a long slow death.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:02 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
I agree, if you can afford to go hunting for even just one day then you can afford a few shells that will HUMANELY take your game. #7 loads in todays "heavier than lead" material is serious turkey killing stuff, but STEEL ISN'T! It won't penetrate properly and you'll likely just wound the bird. Even a common, 2.75" #6 lead game load is a better turkey load than those #7 steel rounds you have. Squirrels and doves is about all that would be "acceptable" for. (I personally wouldn't use that crap for anything over snakes) If you were required by regulation to use steel on turkeys then I'd recommend nothing smaller than #2 shot!

As for the crossbow, I CERTAINLY WOULDNT recommend that! You obviously have never turkey hunted so I doubt you are competent enough to properly place the shot in the animal. If you can afford broadheads then you can afford a few rounds for the shotgun.

As for a "cheap Brazilian" shotgun as long as it has a modified or tighter choke and with a decent lead or heavier than lead shot round, you should be able to competently take turkeys out to 40ish yds.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:01 PM
car
Typical Buck

No on the #7, too small. Oh my!
Old 02-13-2014, 04:12 PM
GCJ
Spike

All I can say is how pathetic. A shotgun is a shotgun, even if it's a "Brazilian knock off". It will shoot a shell, if it fits. AND DONT USE A TOO LARGE OF A SHELL. IT IS ETCHED ON THE BARREL HOW LONG A SHELL IT WILL FIT!!!! Go to your mentor Greenhorn and ask him if he knows what he's doing. Sounds like he doesn't.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:05 PM
Typical Buck

I will say that the #7 Heavishot loads are awesome in the right gun/choke combo. They have the knockdown power of heavier loads and retain the velocity of size shot.

If you have a chance check out the Nitro #7 loads.