HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ammo question?
Thread: Ammo question?
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2014, 01:02 PM
HatchieLuvr
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Mr. Longbeard
NO on the load!!! Steel #7's game load bad idea.... If you can't afford new shells you prob can't afford to go hunting... Is sit this one out till you learn a little more about the game your tryin to take...
I agree, if you can afford to go hunting for even just one day then you can afford a few shells that will HUMANELY take your game. #7 loads in todays "heavier than lead" material is serious turkey killing stuff, but STEEL ISN'T! It won't penetrate properly and you'll likely just wound the bird. Even a common, 2.75" #6 lead game load is a better turkey load than those #7 steel rounds you have. Squirrels and doves is about all that would be "acceptable" for. (I personally wouldn't use that crap for anything over snakes) If you were required by regulation to use steel on turkeys then I'd recommend nothing smaller than #2 shot!

As for the crossbow, I CERTAINLY WOULDNT recommend that! You obviously have never turkey hunted so I doubt you are competent enough to properly place the shot in the animal. If you can afford broadheads then you can afford a few rounds for the shotgun.

As for a "cheap Brazilian" shotgun as long as it has a modified or tighter choke and with a decent lead or heavier than lead shot round, you should be able to competently take turkeys out to 40ish yds.