Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Ammo question?

Old 02-07-2014, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by The Green Horn Hunter
Ok first of all sir, I have answered your questions I told you it was a dumb Brazilian off the wall brand shotgun.

But you obviously didn't read that part and went on huffing and puffing.

Anyways, I'll just stick to my Crossbow least I know what I need for the Crossbow, Sorry Y'all you had to see this.

Some people are jerks.
***Nobody is huffing and puffing except for yourself! You are not trying to be helped by coming back with posts like the last two! You haven't stated what the chamber length or choke of the gun is, so how can you say you've answered the questions so you can be helped? It may be best to stick to your crossbow because it's starting to sound like you might be dangerous to yourself or others with a gun in your hands if you can't even answer a couple questions asked of you so I can help or maybe save your life! Calling me a jerk when I'm doing my best to help you is pretty pathetic, so you have a good day and stick to you crossbow so you don't kill yourself by using the wrong ammo!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 02-07-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 12:24 PM
Spike

Green Horn - you'll find turkey, duo to its size/smarts/speed, is a little more specialized of a hunt than a lot of other animals. Most gun/ammo makers have a completely separate segment of product turkey-specific and for good reason. A tight choke and heavier shot load are really two items that are worth their weight in gold and from what you've noted your present set-up is not ideal. Hope this discussion has helped out and best of luck with your bow if you go that route. I've always admired someone who can take a turkey the archery route!
Old 02-07-2014, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
***Nobody is huffing and puffing except for yourself! You are not trying to be helped by coming back with posts like the last two! You haven't stated what the chamber length or choke of the gun is, so how can you say you've answered the questions so you can be helped? It may be best to stick to your crossbow because it's starting to sound like you might be dangerous to yourself or others with a gun in your hands if you can't even answer a couple questions asked of you so I can help or maybe save your life! Calling me a jerk when I'm doing my best to help you is pretty pathetic, so you have a good day and stick to you crossbow so you don't kill yourself by using the wrong ammo!
You have been reported and block sir, You have NO RIGHT to say that to me, You are not JESUS! Only Jesus can judge me and not the likes of you Sir.

Good Day!
Old 02-07-2014, 12:33 PM
Typical Buck

See Green Horn

You have a picture of 2 3/4 length shell and then say your buddy is coming over with a 3" shell to see if it will work. That is a serious red flag. If your buddy is experienced at hunting turkey why don't you call him up and ask him what you need?

I am leery of anyone who only knows they have some sort of shotgun that was made in Brazil. Tells me that you really are a green horn at hunting. It's guys like you that scare seasoned hunters.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:49 PM
Fork Horn

Smile

Originally Posted by The Green Horn Hunter
You know sir, I came in here to learn, not to get belittled by someone like you. The whole point was to learn what ammo to get? FYI I cannot afford new shells at the moment, I am moving to a different state.

I don't know what shot gun it is, it's some off the wall brand shotgun my brother got when he was a younin. I know its a Brazilian gun. So that being said I will ignore your statement and be the better man.

Have a good day Sir.
I know that Topgun 3006 came in a little egotistical but in the end he gave good sound advise. I made the mistake for the first time last season of not patterning my shot gun and it cost me 2 birds. Went behind the house and shot the gun and the next weekend I laid a thunder chicken to rest. I think in the end that Topgun just wants to make sure that if your going to use a shot gun, that it's done the right way. It's better for you and the bird your hunting. Good luck in the spring, no matter your weapon of chose
Old 02-07-2014, 01:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Can you believe this Greenhorn guy, LOL! He's reported me and blocked me off when all I'm trying to do is help him get started turkey hunting the right way and maybe even save his life! He comes on with a box of #7 shells marked as 2 3/4" and then says his friend is going to see if a 3" shell will work in his gun, then can't even answer a couple simple questions as to what chamber and choke the gun is. I think his name fits perfectly and he has no idea what he has or what he's doing. I give up and since he's blocked me I wish someone would ask him what state he's moving to because I'll head in the opposite direction.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 02-07-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:14 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by VTBoneCollector
I know that Topgun 3006 came in a little egotistical but in the end he gave good sound advise. I made the mistake for the first time last season of not patterning my shot gun and it cost me 2 birds. Went behind the house and shot the gun and the next weekend I laid a thunder chicken to rest. I think in the end that Topgun just wants to make sure that if your going to use a shot gun, that it's done the right way. It's better for you and the bird your hunting. Good luck in the spring, no matter your weapon of chose
Thank you Sir for being civil I like that, I am just going to stick to what I know and that is Archery and a little trapping.

I am not familiar with guns unless its my 22 long long rifle which is just for squirrels. And I've never clamied to be a pro or an expert, We all start some new some times.

And my friend would look at my shot gun first he knows more then I will ever do.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

And that, Sir, is all you needed to say to me and that is that you didn't know the answers to the questions I was asking in order to help you. It was rather obvious that you didn't, but rather than just say you didn't know what I was talking about, you kept coming back at me with stuff like I'm a bad guy.
Old 02-07-2014, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

CHECK your local regs! Many states do not allow shot smaller than #6 for spring turkey hunting. There are companies making specialized loads with "hevi-er than lead" alloys with #7 1/2 shot, BUT...that isn't what was pictured.

Will the ammo pictured kill a turkey? Yes, but you'll have to be 25yds or less to put him down quick, especially with a gun choked MOD or wider.

For the sake of versatiltiy, I seriously recommend you look at getting a basic pump-action 12ga. There are a few makes & models that come with screw-in chokes; CYL/IC-MOD-FULL. You can usually find one on sale for >$300 that will work.

Whatever you do, do not try and stretch your shots.

Good luck this spring, and have fun!

Last edited by JoeA; 02-07-2014 at 02:38 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-07-2014, 02:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

JoeA---Greenhorn says he can't even afford a box of shells and is going to have a friend give him six. How do you figure he can afford to buy a new gun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.