Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

red dot user ?

Old 02-03-2014, 09:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default red dot user ?

I'm just curious how you guys work your sight while hunting.

Do you turn it on and leave it on all day?

Do you just turn it on when you hear a bird gobble?

What do you do if your just sitting in woods calling and nothing's goin on. Leave it on or turn it on when you see bird?

Last edited by Mr. Longbeard; 02-03-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 04:56 AM
Fork Horn

Turn it on when I load it, turn it off when I unload it.

Gman
Old 02-04-2014, 06:06 AM
Typical Buck

I leave it on while I am hunting.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:37 AM
Fork Horn

Turn it on when I load and off when I unload too!!!!!!!
Old 02-04-2014, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

how often do you guys replace your batteries???
Old 02-04-2014, 06:06 PM
Fork Horn

I put in a new set at start of season, last all season long. March 15 to May 30. My stock has a place to keep a spare pair of batteries.

Gman
Old 02-05-2014, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Can anybody think of any advantages to a red dot over a scope or just personal preference?
Old 02-05-2014, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I turn mine on when i hear a gobble or i know something is coming in. Im wierd, just always trying to conserve the battery even though I have never had a battery die. I change mine every year regardless if the old battery is still going strong or not. A few bucks for a new battery is well worth it.
Old 02-05-2014, 05:59 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I can - with the right scope using a diamond/cross hair reticle it doubles as a range finder. By that I mean a Toms head fills the Diamond shape at 40 yards nicely.

A red dot will not do that.

I have used both and prefer the scope. I have a Monarch Turkey Pro on a few guns now.
There is no battery to contend with and the scope is just my preference which suited my needs better.

Also as I have stated many times my scope is sighted in so I shoot/aim at the waddles and that is the bottom center of my circular pattern. The waddles is a easy thing to concentrate on /takes the guess out of where to aim and that way I know the whole head will be peppered by my circular pattern while that actual impact of my shot or circular pattern is really centered on the center of the neck. It also allows me to see the whole head and neck the whole time.
Hope that makes sense.
and I have taken a few running shots using a scope with deadly results.

JW

Ps - since I don't have a picture on that I had better get er done as it would mean more to actually see the impact.

Last edited by JW; 02-05-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:14 PM
Typical Buck

If you have a reflex scope the nice thing is you can shoot and hunt with both eyes open. With my site I have it mounted close to my head and when I look at it all I see is the red dot floating out in space as the rest of the site blurs out. I can see the whole field of view and don't have to close one eye and lose a lot of the site area like with a scope. I can see if other birds or something else comes into the area.Also the dot just needs be on the birds head or neck or wherever you prefer to aim and it is a dead bird. I used to have the scope with the diamond reticle and swore by it but since I broke down and got the burris I could never go back to a scope. I have been sitting with gun on my lap daydreaming and got caught when a bird walked in. I was able to lift the gun put the dot on his head and kill him before he could take off. I could never do that with a scope.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.