Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Turkey Hunting
Pattern / # of hits question.... >

Pattern / # of hits question....

Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Pattern / # of hits question....

Old 03-20-2012, 01:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

This isn't meant to be a smart remark or anything... but if I take a 3d target, like a can the approx height of a turkey and shoot it... I know what my pattern looks like without shootin a piece of paper. I know if I pulled the shot, I know if I have holes... I dont care what happens outside of that can... I just know the can is dead, and so wont a turkey... I don't care if you've shot 200 turkeys over the last 50 years or whatever... count all the holes you want... If you put a beer can on a stick and rock its ass at 35 yards... Turkeys goin down. Anything outside of that is details that wont matter if ya cant shoot.
No offense taken and none intended to you. But I have seen shotguns that threw the center of their patterns 6 inches low and 6 inches right at 40 yards. Shooting at a large piece of paper with a bullseye of some sort on it will reveal such a fact imediately. Shooting at a small target ehhh, maybe not so much.

Lets say you carry a new choke and a few different types of shells out for a test drive. You fire at a can 40 yards away with shell 1 and approach it to see that there is only a few holes in it. So you think, "well that shell sucks." But maybe not. For all you know it threw a great pattern but to the left or right of the can.

As for the 100 pellets inside 10 inches, it's just sort of a general guideline for what many consider to be a good pattern. Obviously it doesn't mean if you are only getting 90 pellets in a 10 inch circle turkeys are going to laugh and walk off from you. And yes we know a turkeys head isn't 10 inches wide. Having a good dense pattern inside a 10 inch circle gives you a little wiggle room for not being perfect with your shot. Pull the shot a few inches? Matters not as long as you keep his head inside that 10 inch cone of death. It's about there not being anywhere his head can find a gap inside that circle. Let me show ya.

Draw a turkeys head anywhere in this circle that he could have survived.

And because I know exactly where the center of my pattern is going (adjusted perfectly to point of aim with a red dot scope) I can center Mr Toms head like this in that pattern.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:46 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Todd1700
No offense taken and none intended to you. But I have seen shotguns that threw the center of their patterns 6 inches low and 6 inches right at 40 yards. Shooting at a large piece of paper with a bullseye of some sort on it will reveal such a fact imediately. Shooting at a small target ehhh, maybe not so much.

Lets say you carry a new choke and a few different types of shells out for a test drive. You fire at a can 40 yards away with shell 1 and approach it to see that there is only a few holes in it. So you think, "well that shell sucks." But maybe not. For all you know it threw a great pattern but to the left or right of the can.

As for the 100 pellets inside 10 inches, it's just sort of a general guideline for what many consider to be a good pattern. Obviously it doesn't mean if you are only getting 90 pellets in a 10 inch circle turkeys are going to laugh and walk off from you. And yes we know a turkeys head isn't 10 inches wide. Having a good dense pattern inside a 10 inch circle gives you a little wiggle room for not being perfect with your shot. Pull the shot a few inches? Matters not as long as you keep his head inside that 10 inch cone of death. It's about there not being anywhere his head can find a gap inside that circle. Let me show ya.

Draw a turkeys head anywhere in this circle that he could have survived.

And because I know exactly where the center of my pattern is going (adjusted perfectly to point of aim with a red dot scope) I can center Mr Toms head like this in that pattern.

I understand what your saying... I'm saying you don't have to get caught up in all that. You can kill a bird with far less than what you show above. Is there a benefit in seeing this pattern? Sure... Is it necessary... Nope...
8-10 pellets in the head and neck, you have 60, which is great. The majority of turkeys survive cause folks miss, not because of some hole in their pattern, If you have a bird at 35 yards and you hit the trigger on it and it survives... You missed.
I've guided hunts that end up in the "I missed, huh, must be this gun" stuff... That's always funny
Old 03-20-2012, 05:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by smokepole70
Just curious what shot size and choke you using? I think magnum 6 and 7 1/2's are good out to 60 yards with a supertight choke, JMO
Win. Supremes 3", #5, 2oz shot, Undertaker (I believe it's .664 or .665..... I can tell what it's doing. It's simply spreading out when I go much past 30yrds. I don't think it's the sight or the pattern is missing the target. When I put in a regular #6 2-3/4" cheap Winchester and go up to about 20yrds. It hits the paper right where I aim and shreds it to pieces. I had a big box on a stump and using a big piece of wrapping paper so I can see my hits. I was just messing around and fired 4 shots of regular 2-3/4 #6's and blew the box right off the stump. The regular old #6's seem to be right on at close ranges. I think I may have to go to a #6 in the turkey load instead of a #5. I also may try some of the cheap Hi-density all lead shots. Never know. If I can't get it better with the next box of shells, I will use my Excal Vortex crossbow. I can hit a spot the size of a half dollar at 40 yards when using a rest and no wind. And I am not BS'ing or exaggerating. The crossbow is DEADLY accurate with my GT's and brass inserts. It's just that I originally thought I would have a better chance of tagging my first bird with a shotgun.... maybe not. I can see the what everyone is saying and I think everyone has some good info and its makes sense the different possibilities everyone is pointing out. With all this mind, I believe I will try some #6's. Like someone mentioned earlier in the thread, that choke simply may not pattern well with the #5's. Thanks... hope I haven't got too much controversy stirred up over this. Just trying to git 'r done....
Old 03-20-2012, 07:28 AM
Spike

Yep shoot at a turkey head target. Any shot outside of the head and neck. Doesn't matter much. Its not hittin anything anyway. Get the bulk or the center of your pattern on his noggin and neck. Vertebrae and brain! Turkeys were killed for years with 2 3/4hrs shells. Now most of us have specialized turkey guns. But it all boils down to sending a good flurry of shot to the head and neck consistently on a head and neck target. Good luck this spring.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

Guys, just pattern your guns however you want. Some people may just feel comfortable hitting a turkey with the very edge of their pattern, which can still kill the bird, it just brings you closer to missing. I just like to know what my gun is capable of. And the rest of the pellets can matter. We aim at the head/neck for a reason. If you are hitting their head/neck with the edge of your pattern, how do you know the center of your pattern is not right on that bird's breast?

Correction: my 125 hits was with 3 1/2" Winchester #5 turkey shot, not #6s.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I bout got it... but ran out of shells again.... I have it where Im getting at least 30 hits in the neck and head!!!! But the bulk of my pattern is still hitting to the left. This is at 40 yards. One more box and ill have it patterned so well the turkey will not have a head left. BTW - this is with all lead $9.99 turkey nitro loads.... They pattern 100 times better than the $20 a box loads. Thank you all for your help. By the end of today I will have my gun finished and WILL NOT EVEN PICK IT UP before opening day. PERIOD

P.S. - I WILL POSTING SOME PATTERN PICS LATER TODAY!. I agree with the points of an ethical shot 100%. That is why I am still working on this pattern. I feel $50-$74 worth of shells is a small price to pay for the piece of mind knowing that turkey's head is going to be F-ING GONE after I pull the trigger.... I doubt there will be much neck left to step on. I would say close to 300 pellets are hitting my 24x24 inch paper. WHen Im done I figure I should have 200-250 pellets in the 10 inch circle with at least 50-60 in the neck, head, & spine ares. Like I wa saying... I have at minimum of 30 hits in this area already. It's been an experience just getting set up and I love it. I was concern about cost at first since I am disabled with hardly any income, but Ive spent so much already, there is no turning back now. Definately cost at multiple times over as much as deer hunting costs....lol Thank you so much guys & gals..... love you people & the sight.

Last edited by Buckhunter46755; 03-21-2012 at 07:26 AM.