HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Pattern / # of hits question....
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2012, 05:19 AM
Buckhunter46755
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by smokepole70
Just curious what shot size and choke you using? I think magnum 6 and 7 1/2's are good out to 60 yards with a supertight choke, JMO
Win. Supremes 3", #5, 2oz shot, Undertaker (I believe it's .664 or .665..... I can tell what it's doing. It's simply spreading out when I go much past 30yrds. I don't think it's the sight or the pattern is missing the target. When I put in a regular #6 2-3/4" cheap Winchester and go up to about 20yrds. It hits the paper right where I aim and shreds it to pieces. I had a big box on a stump and using a big piece of wrapping paper so I can see my hits. I was just messing around and fired 4 shots of regular 2-3/4 #6's and blew the box right off the stump. The regular old #6's seem to be right on at close ranges. I think I may have to go to a #6 in the turkey load instead of a #5. I also may try some of the cheap Hi-density all lead shots. Never know. If I can't get it better with the next box of shells, I will use my Excal Vortex crossbow. I can hit a spot the size of a half dollar at 40 yards when using a rest and no wind. And I am not BS'ing or exaggerating. The crossbow is DEADLY accurate with my GT's and brass inserts. It's just that I originally thought I would have a better chance of tagging my first bird with a shotgun.... maybe not. I can see the what everyone is saying and I think everyone has some good info and its makes sense the different possibilities everyone is pointing out. With all this mind, I believe I will try some #6's. Like someone mentioned earlier in the thread, that choke simply may not pattern well with the #5's. Thanks... hope I haven't got too much controversy stirred up over this. Just trying to git 'r done....