Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

New York turkey

Old 03-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default New York turkey

with the mild winter and soon to be 80 degree days does anyone think that the turkeys will be breeding early this year ?
Old 03-16-2012, 06:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most of the breeding takes place in April unless the winter is extra stubborn.Definitely not the case this year even up on the Tug Hill plateau.We're in for some tough hunting this year for sure.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:53 AM
Typical Buck

I have been hearing lots of gobbling over the past few weeks, but have not heard a sound the past few days
Old 03-20-2012, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I saw birds strutting here in Indiana 3 weeks before our adult season last year I was concerned they would be winding down at the begining of our season. This was late April,then I saw several big Toms still struttting the first few days of June. I'm not going to worrie this year if they start early after seeing that,though I'm sure the earlier they start the sooner many of them are done so you get less encounters with love sick Toms.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:14 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

It happens here sometimes, like this year! They start just a little early, and sometimes it's about over by seasons end. They are usually with hens all day when our season starts and a little tuff to hunt (except those fired up 2yr olds!) I've already found 2 hens that were laying this year, it's opening week! Yes I think they will start breeding early, but it's not going to mess up your hunting!! I think if they lay early they can lay again in the summer, found a hen on a nest 2yrs ago full of eggs and it was July or August!! I posted the picks here on here!
Old 03-20-2012, 06:22 PM
EFH
Typical Buck

johnl, found that thread. It's title is Late nest, it was in Sept.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:36 AM
Typical Buck

EFH that was amazing ! I would have never guessed they would nest that late in the year
Old 03-21-2012, 07:16 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by doetrain
When I saw birds strutting here in Indiana 3 weeks before our adult season last year I was concerned they would be winding down at the begining of our season. This was late April,then I saw several big Toms still struttting the first few days of June. I'm not going to worrie this year if they start early after seeing that,though I'm sure the earlier they start the sooner many of them are done so you get less encounters with love sick Toms.
I've seen strutting in the fall before. Strutting isn't only used for mating purposes. They do it for sizing each other up for peck order as well.

A few years ago, I was set up on a tom in a roost. While waiting on him to fly down, a large hen flew down and was half-strutting around my decoys. I came very close to taking her, but decided to wait. About a minute later, a 21 pound tom flew down (flew directly over top of me..... wooooosh) and tripped over some #5s I threw his way.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by jmedenf
I've seen strutting in the fall before. Strutting isn't only used for mating purposes. They do it for sizing each other up for peck order as well.

A few years ago, I was set up on a tom in a roost. While waiting on him to fly down, a large hen flew down and was half-strutting around my decoys. I came very close to taking her, but decided to wait. About a minute later, a 21 pound tom flew down (flew directly over top of me..... wooooosh) and tripped over some #5s I threw his way.
The Tom I saw had a hen right in front of him and he was working her big time,so this late activity was for breeding I think.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:53 AM
Spike

A majority of the hens will nest around the same time each year. Usually when you start seeing lone hens they are nesting or looking for nesting sites. I haven't seen any yet. The weather doesn't have that much to do with nesting time. The season should be just fine. Lengthened days has more to do with nesting. The gobblers didn't gobble much past couple mornings. Even though its been pretty nice. But still got pics of a lot of birds on the properties I hunt.the season looks like its gonna be good. Goodluck this season.