Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Where can I find slate?

Old 01-27-2002, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Where can I find slate?

I found a box turtle shell while scouting a new area to deer hunt this fall and would like to make a turkey call out of it. I can get cedar, but I would also like the option of slate for the friction board. Where can I find slate suitable for this and how thick should it be?
Old 01-27-2002, 04:16 PM

Default RE: Where can I find slate?

I found this link for slate on <pre id=code><font face=courier size=2 id=code>http://www.customcalls.com</font id=code></pre id=code>

Here is the link: <pre id=code><font face=courier size=2 id=code>http://www.regiononline.com/capozzolo/</font id=code></pre id=code>
Old 01-27-2002, 04:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

hmmm i usually find my own slate...i found a pile of shingle slate sum1 dumped in the woods down the street...and you can find it in big rocky hills...i duno how to desribe em lol...you may not have slate around you...you may have to buy it...i wish i could find a turtle shell..wheres good spots to look for em??
Old 01-27-2002, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

Best if approx. 1/8&quot; thick.

Try Ebay... they sell it pre-cut on there all the time.
Old 01-27-2002, 06:45 PM

you've given me an idea. I find turtle shells around the creek all the time. I also have some slate from an old call I stomped the sh@# out of because it got some bug spray on and wouldn't work when i needed it !! If I could create somthing with this maybe I would be able to get over throwing such a tantrum!
Old 01-27-2002, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

NC and Pro,
Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

Mauser,
Since we live half a continent apart, I'm not sure about turtles in PA. Down here, most are found near, if not in water-- even terrapins like box turtles. So, I generally find them near creeks and such, although I have found them far away from any water. Thats a relative term down here,'cause you can't get very far from water in Mississippi. Also, the terrain is rolling hills. None are too steep and turtles have free roam of the countryside. As for slate, If there is any in MS, it is buried under several hundred feet of mud. There is very little rock down here and what there is sure ain't slate. I find the diversity of this country remarkable in many ways. Good luck in your hunt for a shell. Approach it like you would hunt for sheds. They will be at least partially buried under leaves and you might see only a small piece of it.
Old 01-27-2002, 08:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx barefoot....i will look around the lakes when walking to a fishing spot and keep an eye out when im near water or anywhere outdoors lol...or maybe someone will want to eat a lil snapper i catch while fishing for turtles and cats...and i will keep the shell..i will find one sooner or later...i hope sooner lol...thats terrible theres not slate!! theres montains of it here!

mauser06
Old 01-27-2002, 08:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

thanx barefoot....i will look around the lakes when walking to a fishing spot and keep an eye out when im near water or anywhere outdoors lol...or maybe someone will want to eat a lil snapper i catch while fishing for turtles and cats...and i will keep the shell..i will find one sooner or later...i hope sooner lol...thats terrible theres not slate!! theres montains of it here!

mauser06