Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Slate vs Box

Old 01-25-2004, 10:23 PM

Default Slate vs Box

Just wondering which one diferant people use and why. Box or slate? Thanks.[8D]
Old 01-25-2004, 10:43 PM

Default RE: Slate vs Box

why pick when you can have both in one call. Ronnie Clough makes a box with slate on the bottom....it is amazing. Best box i have ever owned. It has a sweet sounding slate on the bottom for use with his purpleheart striker. I have never had much luck where i hunt with a box but i have high hopes with this call. Check out his website he makes some great calls but his "double trouble" box call is awesome. his company is called Close calls. I thin the web address is just close-calls.com but i might be wrong so do a search for Close Calls if i am.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

I'm kinda fond of boxes. I will always take at least one with me in the woods. I just like the beauty and feel of the wood. Plus they sound good and they will work.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:01 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-26-2004, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use both calls. I tend to use my slates a little more. For no reason in particular but I do. I think they both sound excellent and are both fairly easy to use. My favorite slate call is my Ol Yeller made with SlaTek by Kight and Hale. I guess that is the favorite call I have. So I guess the one I like best would be the one the turkeys like best at that time.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jep you hit the nail on the head as far I'm concerned!Although I use my box more for flatter terrain or long distance calling I'm all for staying with what they are responding too.Brokenbucket as usual makes a great point here also that every call has its place and time, no doubt relative to volume,situation,and confidence an individual has in his own calling ability with any given call..
Old 01-26-2004, 04:07 PM

I carry both also. I tend to go to the slate type calls most often, mainly because I enjoy using them. One of my favorites to date is a Harrison Osage Orange slate with a matching striker.

I also like to use a paddle box call to reach out and locate gobblers and it is good to use on windy days or when you are trying to call one from a long distance and need a call with some volume. The paddle box I like is the Cut-N-Paddle by American Friction. It is made of mahogany with a red cedar lid.

These are the 2 calls that are going to do the bulk of the calling for me again this spring!
Old 01-26-2004, 04:38 PM
VP

The slate and Box are both fantastic for locating, such with cutting or just plain ole volume- I prefer my slate/ glass for in close calling , maybe because I just play with it more and have more confidence in myself while using it.
I've never really found a Box call that I am truely in love with although I continue to buy a new almost every year- Still searching I guess.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:14 PM

I started with a slate and it is probably still my favorite.But the more I have used a box call the more I realize what an effective call that it is.It seems there is something to a box call that turkeys just love.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:18 PM

i use both box and slate calls. Box for long range calling and slate when they get in a little closer but i need to call em in a little more to get a better shot.

Quick Reply: Slate vs Box

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.